50 Budget-Friendly DIY Ottoman and DIY Pouf Projects…
If you’ve been searching for some fun and budget-friendly DIY ottoman and/or DIY pouf projects, you’ve come to the right place! Ottomans and poufs can be very expensive to buy, so it’s a great option for a DIY alternative.
And the best part is many of these DIY ottomans and poufs aren’t hard to make at all! Some of them are downright easy.
Here’s a little video preview of some of the awesome DIY ottoman and DIY pouf ideas we’ve gathered here today!
She needed a desk chair, but didn’t have room for one that would stick out beyond the thrifted bamboo desk that we had found and placed in her little bed and desk nook area.
Originally, the storage cube wasn’t tall enough, so we figured out how high we wanted to make the DIY storage cube/desk chair…
and built up the original frame with wood.
At some point, I need to write a full tutorial on the process, because it was a great way to add some storage space in her small room as well as create some seating…all for less than $30.
And that’s what I love about ALL of these DIY ottomans and DIY poufs you’ll be seeing in this post. ALL of them create useful pieces of furniture for way less than these items would cost if they were purchased.
50 Awesome DIY Ottoman and Pouf Ideas
Some of these ottoman ideas are SUPER creative, utilizing vintage items…even PLASTIC BOTTLES to serve as a skeleton for a pouf. So green, as well as thrifty.
So here are more than 50 ideas for DIY ottoman and DIY pouf projects that you can make for your own home. From tires to tables, these DIY projects create beautiful home decor from some really unexpected items, so I hope you have as much fun perusing them as I did!
Beyond that, I hope you find one that is perfect for your next DIY project. If you make any, I’d sure love to see them! Add a picture to the image on Pinterest, or tag me on social media to let me know!
1. DIY Rope Ottoman from a Tire | Style Me Pretty
Learn how to make a beautiful, coastal-style ottoman using an old tire! Genius (and eco-friendly to boot).
2. Pom Pom Ottoman | Blog Remobilia
We LOVE pom poms here, so this DIY pom pom’d ottoman couldn’t help but make the list!
3. Ottoman with Embroidered Fabric | BHG
Aren’t these ottomans lovely? Make some either with wheels or without. The choice of fabric is just stunning. Sadly, the tutorial doesn’t mention the source.
4. Ticking Stripe Ottoman Cover with Pleat Skirt | Sincerely, Marie Designs
Amanda will show you the step-by-step for creating this classic pleated skirt ottoman cover using blue ticking.
5. Hand-Stitched Pouf from a Rug | A Beautiful Mess
You’ll be shown how to stitch some runner rugs into a large floor pillow style DIY Pouf.
6. DIY Pouf with Large-Scale Stitching | BHG
There’s a free pattern download for this ottoman available. The pouf is first sewn by machine, then hand-stitched to add that cool stitched look.
7. Nifty Denim DIY Ottoman Crate |Pillarbox Blue
Claire makes all kinds of wonderful things from upcycled denim. Here she’ll show you how you can create an eclectic storage ottoman with a wood crate and old jeans.
8. DIY Upholstered Storage Ottoman | Anika’s DIY Life
You want to go big? Anika will show you how to create a storage ottoman like this one that looks like a furniture-style ottoman you’d pay hundreds for. Now you can make your own for less.
9. Cable-Knit Upcycled Sweater Pouf | Alice Wingerden
Alice uses a thrifted sweater to create this cozy DIY pouf, and she’ll show you how to do the same.
10. DIY No-Sew Storage Ottoman from a Bucket | Lily Ardor
This video tutorial will show you how to create a colorful, and very handy little storage ottoman from a bucket and rag rug!
11. Military Blanket Pouf | bild schoenes design
Create a DIY Pouf with lovely leather strap from a military blanket.
12. Plaid Mid-Century Ottoman from an Electric Spool | Design Sponge
Shelly has a tutorial over at Design Sponge for crafting this fun, plaid ottoman from an electric spool.
13. DIY Ottoman From A Coffee Table | Shabby Creek Cottage
Coffee table turns ottoman in this tutorial over at Shabby Creek Cottage.
14. DIY Sisal Rope Ottoman From A Milk Crate | Dwelling in Happiness
This is such a cool DIY project. Learn how you can create this storage ottoman using rope and a plastic crate!
15. Round French-Industrial Style DIY Ottoman | Homemade Lovely
Shannon will show you how to use pallet scraps to create this ottoman. Putting it on wheels and using the bottom portion for storage make this one very useful and convenient, too!
16. DIY Burlap Coffee Bag Ottoman | A Piece of Rainbow
I love how Ananda creates this fun ottoman out of coffee beans bags…and the tassels are such a great addition!!
17. Ottoman Made From An Old Electrical Spool | Infarrantly Creative
Rebecca shows you how she made this uber-professional looking ottoman after taking an upholstery class. The person who runs the class actually now has online courses if you’re interested in learning more about upholstering.
18. DIY Storage Ottoman | live laugh rowe
Rustic crate cuteness for the form, and casters for the function! This project is a serious win on both fronts!
19. DIY Faux Leather Ottoman | Lovely Indeed
Looking for an ottoman with a glam vibe? Check this tutorial at Lovely Indeed!
20. Ikea Hack Cowhide Ottoman | Kristi Murphy
Admittedly, I have a thing for cowhide…isn’t this bench ottoman gorgeous? And faux cowhide can be just as gorgeous as the real mccoy.
We’ve done some upholstery with cowhide as well, so for even more cowhide upholstery tips, we’ve got you covered.
The great thing about so many of these projects so far is that not only are they beautiful, but they also won’t break the bank! And if you love budget-friendly decorating ideas, you’ll want this, for sure…
Click here to have a free copy of “10 Totally Transformational Decorating Ideas – All Under $100!” emailed to you today!
21. Tool Box/Metal Storage Bin Does Double Duty | Furnish via Graham & Green
This project doesn’t have a tutorial, but the concept is such cool inspiration, I wanted to mention it. Check out these cool metal bins (to me they look like big tool boxes) that have an upholstered cushion on top! So not only will it store your tools, or whatever else, it could serve as extra seating in an apartment or dorm! So cute!! These were for sale from the store, Graham & Green once upon a time.
22. DIY Ottoman from a Tire | HGTV Handmade
23. Burlap & Ruffles Ottoman | Burlap & Blue
24. DIY Jute Ottoman from Placemats | Maggie Overby Studios
Maggie will show you how to stitch several inexpensive jute placemats together in order to create this beautiful DIY ottoman inspired by the more expensive version sold at West Elm. I actually used the SAME placemats to make a fantastic summery clutch, if you want to buy a few extra placemats 😀!
25. Vintage Soda Crate & Apple Crate with Grainsack Covers | Cobani Bleu
Nancy shows you how you can create an ottoman using some favorite vintage finds like soda and apple crates.
26. Recycled Soda Bottle DIY Ottoman | Craft Gossip
There is no tutorial, but you can see the “gist” of the construction of this unique ottoman. Definitely a great use of soda bottles or plastic bottles that are so ubiquitous. The ottoman directly below this one is also made from recycled bottles, so if you’re interested in creating one of these, check out that tutorial.
27. No-Sew Denim Pouf | A Crafty Mix
A round ottoman made from denim, and again the core is made from upcycled bottles! I love this idea for a way to recycle the plastic we use in our own homes!!
28. How to make an Ottoman from an old suitcase | Instructables
I love vintage suitcase projects (we have a fun tutorial on a vintage suitcase medicine cabinet). This is such a great way to repurpose cool, old suitcases as well! Turn an old suitcase into a fun footstool!
29. Patchwork Pouf | Closet Case Patterns
If you love the look of this patchwork pouf or have a ton of scrap fabric lying around that needs a purpose in life, then this tutorial is a great solution! There’s a free download for the pattern, too.
30. DIY Tuffet | Mark Montano
Mark will show you via video tutorial how to make this colorful tuffet using a gorgeous Indian tablecloth.
31. Foam Cooler Turns Storage Ottoman | Color Me Domestic
File this project under things I NEVER would have thought to try, but HOW SMART? And how inexpensive?! Watch Gen turn a convenience store cooler into living room furniture!
32. Vintage Metal Milk Crate + Jute Strapping Ottoman | My Salvaged Treasures
If you’re a lover of old things, then you’ll probably adore this ottoman idea as I do! Great way to use one of these wire crates you can sometimes score at yard sales, antique stores or tag sales.
33. West Elm Inspired DIY Pouf IKEA Hack | Retropolitan
Such a smart project, right here. She loved the look of a way more expensive pouf found at West Elm, so she decided to make her own using $3 mats she picked up at IKEA! A great IKEA hack, and awesome DIY pouf!
34. Storage Ottoman with a Repurposed Drawer | The Owner Builder Network
Great idea to repurpose an old dresser drawer! Create a one-of-a-kind ottoman.
35. Wash Tub Ottoman | Red Wing Studio
Isn’t this a smart and stylish idea for repurposing a vintage wash tub?
36. Pattern-Happy DIY Pouf | Addicted 2 DIY on Pretty Handy Girl
Thorough tutorial from Katie over on Brittany’s blog, Pretty Handy Girl. Gives some great tips on what to do, as well as a few on what not to do to make the DIY as easy on you as possible!
37. Turn a Storage Chest into a Tufted Ottoman | Sarah’s Big Idea
Even if you don’t want to make a DIY tufted storage ottoman, I think you should read Sarah’s blog post, anyhow. Because she’s funny :).
38. Tire Ottoman With Fancy Design On Top | That Was What Blog
Here’s another ottoman made with an old tire and rope. This time, there’s a cool patterned top, if you prefer this look.
39. Faux Fur Step Stool | A Beautiful Mess
Adorably easy DIY faux fur foot stool tutorial.
40. Boxed Ottoman | Design Sponge
Learn how to make a basic square ottoman with piping on Design Sponge.
Pssst…remember! Don’t leave here empty handed! Grab a copy of “10 Totally Transformational Home Decorating Solutions – All Under $100” now. Click here or on the image below to grab yours now⤵️
41. Leather Tufted Storage Ottoman | Reality Daydream
Bethany is incredibly talented. She’ll show you how to make a DIY storage ottoman with tufting from scratch!
42. Pool Noodle Foot Stool | Mother Daughter Projects
This is another one of those…”I’d never think of that in a million years,” kind of projects. Pool noodles turn foot stool. Wow!
43. No-Sew Round Ottoman with Box Pleats | In My Own Style
Diane is so talented. She created and has since re-upholstered this piece many times over. She walks you through the whole DIY process to take a wood crate to this lovely round, no-sew ottoman with box pleats.
44. Easy Storage Ottoman from Crates | Mom Makes Things
So, so smart! Mom Makes Things will walk you through the process of creating a rolling storage ottoman from wood crates.
45. Gilded Steamer Trunk Ottoman | Bliss n Misc
An old steamer trunk gets a new…and glam lease on life.
46. Vintage Side Table to Ottoman | Artsy Vava
Have an old table lying around that you don’t use anymore or found one at garage sale you’d like to refurbish? Try making an ottoman!
47. Basic Wood Crate Ottoman on Casters | Design Sponge on Oprah.com
Haven’t ever upholstered anything? This is a great basic project to try. A tight cushion top is the easiest kind, so try this tutorial over on Oprah. Tufting and cushions with piping are more like level 200 or 300 upholstery jobs, but you can create the same function for a fraction the effort.
48. Vintage Ammo Crate Ottoman with Box Cushion | Circadee
This project, nor the next have attached tutorials, but both are great ideas for creating unique DIY ottomans from vintage goods. This one is a military ammo crate that has a box cushion on top. Even if you can’t DIY a box cushion, you could probably find one to work that is store bought. This kind of cushion is used a lot for outdoor furniture, so give the outdoor section a look.
49. Vintage Steamer Chest with Upholstered Top | Destinations Vintage
Destinations Vintage has an Etsy shop where they sell really cool upcycled vintage items. This old steamer chest turned ottoman is one that they sold once upon a time. Once again, no attached tutorial, but here’s a great idea with a simpled tight cushion that you may want to give a try…or wait til another goes on sale in their Etsy shop!
50. DIY pallet ottoman | HGTV
Learn how to make a basic upholstered ottoman starting from a pallet…and learn how to make sure the pallet you plan to use is safe for indoor use.
51. Painted Canvas Pouf | Camille Styles
Claire will show you how to use a natural canvas + paint to give your DIY pouf some personalized touches.
Pin this post for later! And if you make one, leave a comment (or better yet, a photo) on the pin! That helps others know whether they want to try this project, too!
Pssst…before you go, I sure would love to hang out with you again really soon! Sign up now and get a FREE copy of “Builder-Grade To Beautiful: 10 Totally Transformative Home Decorating Solutions, All Under $100!” Click here to enter your email or on the image below. Your copy will be sent right away!