Legos might very well be the perfect toy, but they sure do make a painful mess. Here are 19 BRILLIANT Lego Storage Ideas Every Parent Needs now!
Legos are magical toys that can keep kids occupied for hours upon hours. It’s guilt-free fun that inspires playful creativity, feeds the imagination, and helps to develop fine motor skills.
The caveat is the mess left in the aftermath. It’s chaotic, there are tiny pieces of colorful plastic scattered everywhere, and worst of all, stepping on those little buggers HURTS.
*This post contains affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy here.*
While Lego cleanup seems like a great opportunity to train your little ones to pick up after themselves, no matter how much you beg, plead and nag, those sharp little blocks always seem to end up EVERYWHERE (mainly underneath my feet at 3 am!).
That’s why I scoured the web to find 19 brilliant lego storage ideas every parent needs. These organizational methods make cleanup feel almost…dare I say, fun? That’s the version I’m selling to my kids, anyway. 😉
Psst…did you know that you can actually make REAL money while you declutter? If your child’s Lego collection or toy closet needs pruning- you’ve got to check this helpful guide out and make some $$$!
Tips for Organizing Legos
Before we dive into the fun stuff, I want to share with you some quick tips for keeping Legos under control (and saving your sanity).
- Pick up those sneaky, tiny pieces. You know those little Lego pieces that hide in the carpet until the vacuum sucks them up, or worse, get discovered by a poor, unsuspecting barefoot? I made this little DIY tool to pick up those sneaky buggers in a snap. Bonus: use a paint roller extension and save your back.
- Create a space for displaying finished works. After your Lego artist has finished their prized creation, he or she will want to proudly display their work of art. Designate some shelves or a prominent area where finished pieces can be admired.
- Keep directions on-hand and under control. Don’t throw out those Lego directions! Hanging file folders are great for storing and organizing Lego books, directions and how-to manuals.
- Save in-progress work. Have some bins on hand or designate some other space for in-progress projects. This will prevent the unnecessary frustration of someone’s hard work getting accidentally dismantled or destroyed.
- Consider downsizing. If you’ve already tried several different organization methods and it still feels like Legos are reproducing, consider paring down the collection. Even the most sophisticated Lego storage systems can’t contain more than your space will allow. It’s ok to get rid of the excess.
Brilliant Lego Storage Ideas
Alright, let’s take those practical tips above and put them into action with some genius tips and tricks for keeping those famous plastic pieces organized.
Don’t forget! As you look through all this organizing inspiration, you can make some extra cash as you organize!
1. Organizing Legos by Color | The Homes I Have Made
Megan from The Homes I Have Made can attest that some storage solutions have an expiration date. After her son Henry graduated from Lego newbie to “master builder,” she knew their old Sterlite box storage method had to be upgraded. In this detailed post, she’ll tell you all about Henry’s new and improved Lego storage system.
2. Color-Coded Labels for Lego Storage | The Organized Mama
Who doesn’t love instantly downloadable printables? Thanks to The Organized Mama, you can print these labels in minutes. Use sticker paper to easily affix these handy labels to any smooth surface bin and get organized today!
3. 10 Lego Storage Ideas You Wish You’d Thought Of | Spaceships and Laser Beams
Spaceships and Laser Beams has a bunch of amazing ideas for creating your own Lego tables! Not only do these make excellent play surfaces, but many of them also double as organizational units.
4. Lego Storage for Large Collections | The Brick Architect
Some of you may be thinking, “Okay, but we really do have a LOT of Legos!” Never fear! The Brick Architect has your back. This article is geared towards the serious Lego aficionado, but many of the tips are applicable to families and Lego lovers of any age.
To store Legos like the pros, The Brick Architect recommends plastic drawer units with divided compartments to store pieces by part AND color.
5. Storage Solutions | Brickset
Here’s another insightful post from a serious Lego collector. Brickset invited Kevin Wu to share his Lego organization secrets using Akro-Mils storage drawers and the sorting of his impressive collection of Lego parts first by color, then by type.
6. Best Lego Storage Ideas for Your Home | Parent Map
You will absolutely love this list of creative Lego storage ideas from Parent Map! While there are some very fun and out-of-the-box methods here, what could be simpler than sorting Legos by color into clear plastic bins?
7. Lego: The Best Lego Storage Ideas | Redtri
These super cool storage cabinets from The Container Store come in a number of delicious colors to match every decor style. If those don’t work for you, check out some additional great ideas on this list from Redtri.
8. Lego Storage Tricks Every Parent Should Know | Anja Home
I am obsessed with this adorable Lego Minifigures wall display! Along with over 20 helpful lego storage ideas, Anja Home shows you how to hang baseplates on the wall to proudly show off your beloved cast of Lego characters.
9. DIY Lego Table with Storage | The Handyman’s Daughter
This post by The Handyman’s Daughter offers a practical lego storage idea designed with playtime in mind. This table definitely offers a way to make Legos easy to access, easy to clean up, and thus easy to save your sanity. 😉
10. LEGO Bins | I am Momma Hear me Roar
I am Momma Hear me Roar confirms that sorting by color is the easiest way to get kids involved with cleanup and organization, and helps them develop their color identification skills, to boot. I love the labels she chose as they are easy for even early-readers to identify and clean!
11. Lego Storage: Organizing with the Container Store | Dreaming of Homemaking
This post by Dreaming of Homemaking reads like a story. I love the way Sarah involved her kids in the process by taking them to The Container Store and letting them pick out their own Lego storage containers.
12. Lego Storage Brick Drawers Review | The Brick Blogger.com
This in-depth review from The Brick Blogger.com tells you everything you need to know about these fantastic Lego storage brick drawers from Room Copenhagen.
They’re on-brand, hold a lot of Legos and are available at official Lego stores, the Online Lego Shop, and various Lego retailers.
13. Awesome DIY Lego Storage Containers | Raising Dragons
How cool is this big red tool chest from Raising Dragons? Not only does it help organize Legos in a snap (pun fully intended!), but it also creates a wonderful workspace underneath the lid! Check out this great how-to, plus find more Lego storage ideas in this post.
14. Cheap & Easy Lego Storage Organizer | Happiness is Homemade
The title says it all in this Happiness is Homemade post. Who doesn’t want a cheap and easy lego storage organizer? Heidi explains how she mounted black plastic hanging storage bins from Home Depot onto the wall to make an easy-to-reach Lego organizer perfectly situated over her son’s Lego workspace.
15. Simple Lego Storage System and A Fun Lego Building Challenge | The Craft Patch
Jennifer from The Craft Patch knows what she’s talking about. She tried several different methods for organizing Legos before landing on her current system: a tall plastic drawer cart, with Legos sorted by color. It’s easy, inexpensive and is tucked inside the closet of her kids’ bedroom.
Plus, she shares some great tips for sparking your kids’ creativity with Legos!
16. Lego Storage and Display Ideas | Lil Blue Boo
Ashley from Lil Blue Boo swears by this 16-cube shelving unit (here’s a similar one from Target), and you should take her recommendation seriously.
She used to store Legos in plastic bins in her daughter’s closet, but finds this organizer shelf much more efficient. Plus, her daughter can proudly display her finished creations on the open shelves.
17. Awesome Lego Storage Ideas | The Organised Housewife
Here’s another great list of helpful lego storage ideas from The Organised Housewife, and I can attest: everything on this list is awesome.
18. Lego Storage & Organization Ideas | Childhood 101
I absolutely love the idea of tossing Legos into one, single storage container and tucking it under the bed, out of sight. Divided compartments keep everything organized. What could be easier?
19. Meta Lego Storage | Kellbot
So far, you’ve seen a lot of great Lego storage ideas, but this idea from Kellbot has got to be one of my favorites. Meta, indeed!
20. Under Bed Rolling Storage Lego Bin | The Happy Housie
Since space in a kids’ bedroom is typically at a premium, utilizing spots that aren’t normally used can be a great place to stash the Lego bins. A spot like under the bed can be a hidden gem (emphasis on hidden, since that’s how many of us parents want our Lego collections kept).
My friend Krista and her husband created a really stellar under bed bin for their boys. It’s super sturdy, and has divided sections for the Legos.
No time for woodworking, or nervous around power tools? Then try my no-power-tools required version of a rolling underbed storage bin! You can create this version in less than 30 minutes.
So that rounds out our collection! What do you think of these brilliant and awesome Lego storage ideas? Which of these ideas are you excited to try? If you’re in the market to grab some of these Lego storage essentials, I’ve linked to a number of my personal favorites below. Simply click the image to be taken to the vendor for more info!
Favorite Lego Storage Solutions For Sale:
Feeling particularly inspired after seeing all these great Lego organization ideas? Keep decluttering around your home. Not only will you free up space, but you can make some extra cash too! It’s easy – here’s how:
Need more storage and organizing ideas around the house? We’ve got you covered! Be sure to check out these ideas, too!
Pin this post for later! And if you use one of these ideas, leave a comment (or better yet, a photo) on the pin! That helps others know whether they want to try one of these ideas, too!
Pssst…before you go, I sure would love to hang out with you again really soon! Sign up now and get a FREE copy of “Builder-Grade To Beautiful: 10 Totally Transformative Home Decorating Solutions, All Under $100!” Click here to enter your email or on the image below. Your copy will be sent right away!
Leave a Reply