47 Coolest DIY Coasters Projects
Have you ever made DIY coasters, or received some as a gift? If so, you know how wonderful they can be either to give or receive. Everyone uses coasters at home. And when they are homemade, it’s just a little thing that shows someone that you went the extra mile because you cared.
*This post contains affiliate links. Please read our full disclosure policy here.*
One of my personal favorite gifts of all time to receive was a set of DIY map coasters that were given to me as a going away gift when our family moved. Each coaster highlighted a place on a map that was special to our family…where Tib and I met, where we went to college, where we got married, etc. It was meaningful even though it wasn’t an expensive gift or something that was terribly difficult to make. But it was thoughtful, and that’s what made those DIY coasters such a special idea.
Besides those DIY map coasters, we’ve made others here as well, including some really fun and colorful pom pom coasters. And as I scouted around Pinterest, I noticed A LOT of other FANTASTIC DIY coaster ideas. I’m excited to share them with you as I bet you’ll agree they look both fun to try, to use, AND to give as gifts. I hope you’ll find a bunch here that you ❤️!
Quickly, before you pick some DIY coasters to try, join 100,000+ other DIY lovers who follow us here at the nest. Signing up means instant access to all our private, members-only printable guides, tutorials, cheat sheets and more. And it’s completely free to join us. Click that image below to get started now⤵
Without further delay, let’s check out 47 of the coolest DIY coasters projects to try from the web!
47 Incredible DIY Coaster Ideas:
1. DIY Coasters Made from Maps | The Heathered Nest
This is the project I mentioned above. These are made using old, 4×4 tiles that we didn’t need. Tile coasters are very inexpensive to make…even if you don’t have any extra tile lying around the house, tiles cost less than $1 each at Home Depot. And if you’re a AAA member, you can pick up maps for free at one of their local offices.
2. DIY Citrus Coasters | Purl Soho
Aren’t these felt coasters such a fun color splash? They’d look perfect at a poolside summer party.
3. DIY Mini Cowhide Coasters | Oh So Beautiful Paper
Who’d have thunk to make such cute cowhide coasters, right? I love the look of these. Would be super fun for a themed party, or at a cabin retreat.
4. Wooden Pallet DIY Coasters | One Dog Woof
Pallets are popular! And this is such a fun idea to mimic the look in the form of a little DIY wood coaster! Not only are they cute, but super functional, too! Lots of room for air and condensation to breathe under your cup. Smart.
5. Chalkboard Ombre Coasters | Organize & Decorate Everything
6. DIY Mason Jar Lid Coasters | Less Than Perfect Life of Bliss
7. DIY Six-Pack Beer Coasters | The Crafty Collegiate
These are awesome. And heck, anything that gives me an incentive to drink more beer? I’m a fan. These would be a great gift for a 21st birthday, right?!
8. 10-Minute DIY Slate Coasters | Average but Inspired
Slate and chalkboard projects are always a good idea. And what a fun way to say, “cheers” by embellishing each with a different variation of the word that brings smiles around the world!
9. DIY Woven Coasters | A Pretty Fix
Admittedly, I don’t know if I could make these myself as I don’t know a needle from some thread, but once I saw these, I sure got a little motivated to perhaps try! Boho-style coasters…a perfect addition to all the boho decor that’s popped up here, there and everywhere!
10. DIY Gold Gilded Coasters | Boxwood Avenue
These tile coasters are sweet, and according to the tutorial, easy to boot! This would make such a great last-minute housewarming or hostess gift, along with a favorite bottle of wine!
11. DIY Geometric Cork Coasters | Best Friends for Frosting
12. DIY Adorable Confetti Coasters | Best Friends for Frosting
They call them confetti, but I’m kind of partial to calling them 1980’s splatter-painted. Either way, they’re super cute!
13. Galaxy Color Blocked Marble Coasters | A Kailo Chic Life
These celestial-coasters are out of this world, no? I know…bad pun…couldn’t help myself there.
14. Nail Varnish Marbled Coasters | Mum in the Mad House
The marbled look is all the rage this year. It was marbled eggs for Easter, marbled pumpkins for Halloween…but these marbled coasters can be used all year and look great!
15. DIY Scrabble Tile Coasters | Simply Darrling
Perfect for your more cerebral friends.
Pssst…Don’t forget to sign up for VIP access to all the DIY tutorials and guides only available in our resource library. It’s free to join⤵️!
16. Simple Coasters Made from Ceramic Tiles | Kenarry
Over at Kennary, The Birch Cottage is sharing all kinds of themed coaster ideas, as well as these that are great for any occasion.
17. DIY Coil Rope Coasters | A Subtle Revelry
Fun coasters with a nautical twist…literally.
18. Easy DIY Paper Coasters | Hello Wonderful
Simple to make and a great way to introduce colors that coordinate in a space in which they’ll be used! And a fun way to add pattern, as well.
19. Wood Burned Coasters | The Country Chic Cottage
Do you have a woodburning tool? They are really fun to work with. A steep learning curve, I feel like, but really cool to use and create things with once you get the hang of it. And wood slice coasters, like these that Angie made, would be a great project to try! And if you enjoy using one, try these gardening markers, too. They are really fun and useful, too!
20. DIY Patterned Cork Coasters | Make + Tell
21. DIY Watercolor Wooden Coasters | The Handyman’s Daughter
Another awesome, but different wood coaster idea. I love the color that Vineta adds to this variation, don’t you?
22. Mod Podged Tile Coasters | Design Improvised
A great, colorful take on a tile coaster!! This is such a versatile project that can be altered to fit so many different design aesthetics!
23. DIY Wood Slice Trivet Coasters | Design Improvised
Trivet or coaster, either way, this project is colorful, fun and useful to boot!
24. DIY Botanical Trivets | Reality Daydream
Bethany is insane with her woodworking skills and projects. This one is amazing, for sure…and you HAVE to check out her cactus coasters right below!
25. DIY Cactus Coasters | Reality Daydream
26. DIY Alcohol Ink Coasters | DIY Inspired
This is another crafting technique that’s really picked up steam as of late! The color totally captures my heart. I haven’t tried this kind of project yet, but it’s totally on my list! I think these tile coasters turned out great, don’t you?
27. DIY Macramé Boho Coasters | Curly Made
Beautiful boho!! I’d ADORE receiving some of these as a gift, and I’m betting LOTS and lots of other folks would as well!! If you have the knack for macrame, this is totally a project you need to try! And when you do, could you send little old me one or two? Please and thank you!!
28. Easy Jute Coaster DIY | Stone Gable
Yvonne makes this project so darn easy and approachable. Totally going to make some of these for friends who live on the water. They are such a perfect nautical, beachy-vibed coaster!!
29. DIY Modular Felt Coasters | Purl Soho
Aren’t these the SWEETEST?! Trendy, hip and colorful. Plus, felt always will have a place in my heart. Reminds me of art projects we all did in our childhood. Does it give you that feeling, too?
30. DIY Constellation Coasters | Almost Makes Perfect
Oh my heavens! I could definitely make SPACE for some of these coasters at home, couldn’t you!? 😂🌌
And remember! Don’t leave here empty handed! If you sign up as a VIP, we’ll send you instant access to the VIP vault full of DIY cheat sheets, printable guides and more! Click below now for access ⤵️
31. DIY Ombre Leather Coasters | Almost Makes Perfect
Great little idea for leather scraps you may have on hand!
32. Rose Gold Confetti Resin Coasters | Delicious and DIY
This is a super interesting technique! Definitely check out the tutorial on this one.
33. Quilted Mug Rugs | Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
34. Solid Cedar DIY Coasters | Reuse Grow Enjoy
Ooooh….Cedar always smells so nice. These would make a great Father’s Day gift, wouldn’t they?
35. Marble Coasters Using Leftover Tile | Making Manzanita
Brilliant if you have some beautiful tile scraps! I only have 80s ugly stuff on hand, sadly, but this is a GREAT use for recent tile projects when you have a few extras! Don’t let them go to waste!!
36. Crochet Pizza Coasters | Crafts by Amanda
So pizza-flipping cute!! I can’t crochet, but man, if I could…you could do pizza, apples, oranges, what other round food items are there? So many fun variations you could try!!
37. DIY Beach Themed Mason Jar Lid Coasters | Our Crafty Mom
My kids would love making these as a grandparent gift…wouldn’t yours, too? A fun, beachy cool coaster project, for sure.
38. Dyed & Stenciled Wooden Coasters | Kenarry
DYED and stenciled! These are fantastic. Another great coaster idea from my friend Carrie for you to try!
39. Easy to Make Patterned Fabric Coasters | I Should Be Mopping the Floor
I ADORE the fabrics that Kristi picked for this fabric coaster project. As she says in the tutorial, this is a great project to try if you’re a beginner seamstress looking to work on your skills! I think my daughter would love trying these, too!
40. Quilted Patriotic Coasters | I Should Be Mopping the Floor
And here’s a fun and festive patriotic twist on Kristi’s fabric coaster idea!! You can see how versatile this coaster craft can be!!
41. Trendy Gem Embossed Coasters | Crafts Unleashed
Isn’t this project a gem? It’s crystal clear this is a coaster project I wouldn’t “mine” trying, how about you? 😂💎
42. DIY Pom Pom Edged Clay Coasters | Crafts Unleashed
More POM POMS!!!! This time coupled with CLAY! I think these are a total winner.
43. Homemade Polaroid Coasters | Darkroom and Dearly
44. DIY Cork Conversation Bubble Coasters | My Little Secrets
Great tutorial for these sweet little cork conversation coasters! I think they’d be fun with fave quotes that a friend says, or inspirational quotes, too!
45. Kate Spade Inspired Glitter Coasters | Parties for Pennies
GLITTER!! 😍How’s this for making your drink a little more fun?!
46. DIY Wooden Geometric Coasters | The Crafty Gentleman
Aren’t this hip, mod geometric coasters cool? Love these designs, and I’m betting so would someone you love!
47. DIY Pom Pom Coasters | Heathered Nest
Poms are the bombs. Can’t go wrong by adding pom poms to pretty much anything. Seriously…and if you’re in agreement, then you need to check out our post with over 40 fun pom pom projects, too!! This coaster project is another that builds on using a basic, 4×4 ceramic or porcelain tile.
Pin this post for later! And if you make one, leave a comment (or better yet, a photo) on the pin! That helps others know whether they want to try this project, too!
Pssst…before you go, I sure would love to hang out with you again really soon!! Sign up now and gain instant access to our DIY resource library full of DIY guides, tips, tricks & cheat sheets. And it’s all FREE. Click the image below to get started…