DVD storage ideas in the year 2020, you say? Why, yes! It’s officially the era of Marie Kondo, and minimalism has become increasingly popular. More and more households are opting to replace their stacks of DVDs and Blu-ray discs with an all-streaming or digital approach.
But if you’re anything like me, you’ve spent years – maybe even decades – curating a DVD collection you’re proud of.
If you are suddenly getting flashbacks of those hideous plastic DVD towers that scream 1996, have no fear.
It can be challenging to find attractive ways to store your DVD collection in your home, but there are some truly resourceful ideas out there. Generally, you’ll want to keep your movies accessible and organized.
If you could use some more organizing and less clutter in your life, you’ve come to the right place! Grab a free copy of “60 5-minute decluttering ideas” and get on the road to a calmer, more restful home life in as little as 5-minutes at a time!
Do you like to be able to see the spines of your disc’s original cases? No problem. There are some awesome ideas below for proudly displaying your favorite movie titles.
Maybe you prefer to keep your collection concealed in a way that blends seamlessly with your decor. If so, you’re in luck – I scouted several discrete ideas, both DIY and otherwise, and included them all in this list.
20 DVD Storage Ideas To Keep Your Home Movie Collection Organized
If you’re interested in storing your DVDs in a decidedly modern and stylish manner, read on. Here are 20 DVD storage ideas to keep your home movie collection organized!
1. Have Too Many DVD’s? Try These Clever DVD Storage Ideas for Solutions | Sitehouse
A super clever way to update your DVD storage for the 2020s is to go for an artsy, structural approach. This homogenous shelving group could almost be taken for modern art! Since every unit is the same, the effect is modern and streamlined.
2. 40 DVD Storage Ideas Organized Movie Collection Designs | Next Luxury
A surprising way to update your DVD collection is to embrace traditional, classic style. This corner shelving area has the look of built-in bookcases, and blends right in with this elegant sitting room featuring a Victorian-style fireplace. Lovely!
3. DVD Storage Closet | Club House Barberini
Why not utilize closet space to keep DVDs out of the way but still easily accessible? Bonus: Storing your collection on wooden shelves makes your closet look like a used dvd store! Cozy.
4. DVD & Blu-Ray Storage: How to Fit a Lot of Movies Into a Small Organized Space | Living Well Mom
Here’s an excellent idea for homes with kids! Keeping DVDs organized into attractive, labeled bins makes them easy to find. Since the bins are stored within reach in a media console, kids can help themselves to their favorite movies.
5. Creative CD DVD Storage Ideas for Perfect Decor | Jekyll and Hyde
Can you say Scandinavian? You really can’t go any more minimalist than these sleek cabinets. No one will ever know what you store inside (unless they pull down the secret door, of course!).
6. DVD Storage Ideas | Get Beautified
This DVD storage idea is simple, cheap, and genius.
Find yourself some storage boxes with metal label holders to categorize your genres. You can even choose colors and patterns to perfectly suit your personal style.
In this photo, you’ll see a mix of classic white and a beautiful geometric print. Go even cheaper with a DIY approach and repurpose old shoe boxes with some pretty wrapping paper!
7. Best DVD Storage Ideas for Small Space | The Destiny Formula
Embrace your inner artist and fashion a statement shelving piece for your wall. You can spell almost any word that speaks to your heart. Here’s a perfect DVD storage idea for all the film buffs out there.
8. Creative DIY CD & DVD Storage Ideas or Solutions | Hative
I can’t get over this brilliant round-up from Hative. There are so many creative DVD storage ideas here! This narrow shelf in a closet is particularly smart.
9. 20 Best DIY DVD Storage Ideas and Solutions | Its Overflowing
This post from Its Overflowing features some pretty resourceful DIY hacks for DVD storage. Who doesn’t love a good DIY pallet project?
10. Easy + Functional DVD Storage | The Homes I Have Made
Get excited, because this tutorial is equal parts inexpensive and adorable! If you have a large DVD collection, this can help save so much space in your home.
11. Simple DVD Storage Ideas | Givdo Home Ideas
If you’re nostalgic for those long-shuttered video stores of the past, why not lean fully into that theme? Create your own movie haven with full-wall shelving and movie posters as an homage to your favorite films.
12. 10 DIY DVD Storage Ideas that Might Steal Your Heart Away | Decorilo
Where are my crafters, scrapbookers, and organization buffs? Here’s a project that will make your heart soar. Chuck out all those bulky DVD cases and replace them with sleek, slim plastic sleeves.
Then, get to work on an alphabetized filing system to keep your movies organized. You’ll find that your DVDs no longer take up a lot of space, and you can fit your whole collection in a box or two (or ten!).
13. 12 Stylish DVD Storage Ideas with Low Cost and Less Space | Tipard
Here’s a smart idea for rooms with awkward spaces, like this one behind the couch. Use it to its fullest potential by putting up some wall shelves! Bonus points for creative words or shapes.
14. DVD Mega Storage Ideas | Sawdust Sisters
There’s something about before and after photos that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. This DVD collector took control over their stress-inducing mess of DVDs, and organized them using attractive storage bins. It really could not get any easier.
15. DVD Storage: Storing 600+ DVDS | At Home with Joanna
Do you thrive with a step-by-step approach? Let Joanna guide you through how to consolidate a large DVD collection in this excellent post from At Home with Joanna.
Coming from someone who understands the joy of movie collecting, Joanna explains how she minimized her joint DVD collection, then organized what was left for under $50.
16. 15+ Unique Stylish CD and DVD Storage Ideas | Paperblog
How cool is this DVD storage box with an index list to keep all your titles inventoried? This works especially well for folks who like to fit everything into one, small space.
17. 21 DIY DVD Storage Ideas for Small Spaces | House and Garden DIY
Some collect books, others collect movies! This movie lover’s maximalist collection looks every bit as sophisticated as a professor’s home library.
18. How to Store Old DVDs? Top Creative Ideas to Store DVDs Minimalist | Demotix
On a similar note, I love the old-world library look of these above and below stair shelving spaces. It makes me feel like I’ve stumbled into a mysterious little bookshop in England. So romantic!
While this is for books, there’s no reason you couldn’t simply sub in your DVD collection instead—or better yet, do a combination of books and movies for the ultimate entertainment corner.
19. Unique Stylish DVD Storage Ideas | Homedit
This is one of the more understated, yet playful ideas on this list. Even small collections can make a big impact with this asymmetrical storage piece.
Add some memorabilia from your favorite movie and your home will look like it belongs to an art collector!
20. 20+ Unique Stylish CD and DVD Storage Ideas for Small Space | The Daily Attack
Here are 20 more DVD storage ideas, ranging from space-saving (the DVD wallet method still works!) to out-of-the-box.
There’s an absolutely tempting under-bench storage hack you’ll definitely want to check out on The Daily Attack.
Tips for Organizing DVDs
Ready to tackle your DVD collection? Here are a few helpful tips to get you started.
- Check the value of your DVDs. Okay, it’s probably a long shot, but some DVDs are actually worth quite a bit of cash! You can see some of the most valuable DVDs on this list.
- Sort into piles to keep and donate. Once you start going through your collection, it’s likely you’ll find several you want to donate. Place these in a box away from the rest of your movies.
- Categorize them. Whether you want to organize by color, alphabetically, or by genre, sorting your movies can help you find your favorite flicks faster.
- Teach your family the system. Once you have everything nice and organized, make sure you show your family how it works. That way, there are no excuses when it comes to putting movies away. 😉
Are you feeling inspired by these awesome DVD storage ideas? Whether your DVD collection is big or small, there’s definitely a solution here that will suit your space. Which one is your favorite?
On the hunt for even more storage and organizing ideas? Definitely check these articles out, too!
Pin this post for later! And if you make one, leave a comment (or better yet, a photo) on the pin! That helps others know whether they want to try this project, too!
Ready to get control of the clutter and chaos at home? Here are 60 places you can declutter in just 5-minutes at a time. Grab your free copy now by clicking here or on the picture below:
Hi my name is Linda and I love your fantastic idea’s which I’m yet to put into practice here in my home. I would like to just let you know that I appreciate your freebie downloads as I cannot afford to buy any of those other fantastic offers you have as I’m only on a disabled pension and I struggle from fortnight to fortnight as it is. Thank you for you freebies that I can download and thank you for all your great ideas. Cheers linda