Under deck ideas + 19 must-see real-life examples!
Are you wanting a more organized life and realizing that there is space under your decking being underutilized? Yup, same girl, same. Don’t worry – I recently went on a deep dive into under deck ideas and found plenty of storage inspiration to share!
Today we’re talking all about storage – specifically storage for under the deck area. If your under-deck area is anything like mine, it’s probably not somewhere you really want yourself—or your things!—to hang out in. Not yet, at least! Let’s turn that around and reclaim that valuable space with these under deck ideas.
Psst…did you know that decluttering doesn’t have to be a massive time-suck? If your yard items could use some pruning- you’ve got to check out this helpful guide filled with 5-minute wins!
Expert Tips for Reclaiming the Area Underneath Your Deck or Porch
- Measure twice. Pull out the measuring tape and take ALL of the available dimensions that you are working with. We’re talking length, width, height, and making notes of any substantial slopes.
- Get inspired. You’re in the right place to get started! Browse through these curated images to get motivation, then head to your local hardware and home improvement stores to see what kind of equipment would be easily available for purchase. Stores do not all have the same inventory, so check out more than one, and don’t forget to look online too!
- Consider the elements. Depending on the weather where you live, you will need to take steps to protect the area from water damage, mold damage, and pest damage. You probably don’t want to become the talk of the neighborhood forum and provide a comfortable ecosystem for all spectrum of critters and pests. Ick!
- Open versus Closed. There are pros and cons to both of these options. Keeping your under the deck storage area open might make a small backyard seem bigger. But closing off the area may secure your belongings better and give your eyes a visual rest from potential clutter. With both options, you’ll want to make sure you keep easy access to any outdoor plumbing that is in the area.
- Choose your material. If you choose to close in the area under your deck, you’ll have one other big choice to make. Do you close it in with a wood product (less upfront money) or do you use a pricier composite option? Over time, the wood options will require maintenance and perhaps replacement. Composite products should stand the test of time (and weather) with minimal or no maintenance.
19 Must-See Under Deck Ideas
These 19 curated images and links were chosen just for you! If you’ve struggled with how to use the massive, semi-spooky space under your deck, these ideas will give you SO many lightbulb moments! Plus, don’t forget to grab a copy of the free 5-minute decluttering wins guide!
1. Hidden Drawer Storage Under Deck | Stash Vault
Right off the bat…genius! This is like those under the bed storage drawers, but for your deck! These have enough cubic space to welcome outdoor seasonal storage, out-of-commission toys, miscellaneous items for the pool, or anything else that needs to be tucked away.
You’ll love how the front of the drawer can be tailored to match your deck’s style. These drawers are currently available in Australia, but if you live elsewhere share this inspiration with a local contractor for a custom build!
2. Under Deck Storage Ideas with Lattice | HGTV
HGTV has nailed it again! The custom cut of the lattice panel piece underneath the stairs gives this space a tailored-look. Imagine all of the out-of-season recreational toys that you could store here!
Plus, the lattice panels could be a backdrop for hanging some cute weather-resistant vintage signs and outdoor art. Or, you could keep the backdrop plain for a streamlined look.
3. Storage Under a Raised Deck | Craving Some Creativity
Check out what Rachel with Creating Some Creativity did with her under the deck storage area! Because the deck above blocked sunlight, the floor area needed to be an option other than grass.
Pressure-treated wood was used to define to create a border that was then filled in with drainage rocks. At first glance, the clean lines and juxtaposition of colors make me think of a texturized outdoor rug!
4. Using Your Under-Deck Space for Storage | DuraLife
Should you choose to close out the space under the deck, there are many options you can choose from, ranging from lattice to decorative screen panels. I like the horizontal panels in this picture—it definitely gives a more modern vibe than a typical lattice.
5. Lattice with a Gate | Decks R Us
Add this visually appealing layout from Decks R Us to your deck vision board!! Can’t you just picture yourself kicking back with a friend in the pair of Adirondack chairs while all of your belongings are neatly (or at least semi-neatly) stored under the deck area?
The built-in “grid” of the lattice will keep air moving in that underground area, so everything stays fresh. We’ve all smelled the stale smell of a basement area without air circulation – no bueno!
6. Deck Storage Drawer | Aussie Deck Drawers
Another brilliant drawer photo to file away and show your general contractor! My inner organizing self is geeking out over all the items that could be neatly stored in this massive drawer.
7. Garden Shed Under Deck | Breyer Construction
Okay, here’s a genius space hack by Bryer Construction! This is one of those under deck ideas that offers all the benefits of a storage shed, without taking up any of the open yard space. You could even build something similar like this and add some personality with outdoor wall art or imitation shutters.
However you style it, the utility of this space is dead-on!
8. Under Porch Storage for Sloped Yards | Builder Questions
Ever wanted an outdoor walk-in closet? I didn’t know I needed one until I saw this picture! Those with a sloped yard will especially appreciate how precise measurements and some saw-skills can accommodate and overcome any obstacle.
9. Under Deck Storage Ideas | Atlanta Decking
Okay, this is one of the best under deck ideas yet! I included two photos so you could see how smartly this space is used. On the surface, landscaping, including a wall of built-in rocks and some potted plants make the area look neat and tidy.
As you’ll see in the second photo, however, there is actually a storage compartment built-in right above the rocks…the perfect hideaway for rafting tubes! Remember, make your storage work for you and your hobbies.
10. Under Deck Storage with Removable Fence Panel |The Handyman’s Daughter
The Handyman’s Daughter creates an adorable “under the stairs” storage area! The typically inefficient space under the stairs is transformed into hidden outdoor storage.
I love the use of varying widths of wood. It gives it a custom look – and allows for ventilation. Plus, she opted to install a removable fence panel (instead of a door or gate), which adds to the upscale look.
Here’s an idea that gives off a slight modern industrial vibe. Once again, we see the horizontal use of wood to keep things clean and updated. The storage area under the desk has two points of access, and the drainage rocks around the perimeter will keep moisture from finding a new home.
This post has captured my heart! I love the green color! Using a color from nature’s spectrum makes this feel a bit like a fancy walk-in treehouse!
The barnhouse-style doors bookended with the outdoor lanterns transform what could be a ‘blah’ entrance into a backdrop for some pretty cute photos. Seriously, they are probably fending off local photographers.
Here is some inspiration on how to maximize the vertical space under a second-story outdoor deck. By closing in the area, the homeowners can now use the entire vertical space for storage, rather than just the floor space. Just think of all the shelving opportunities! Bonus: if you are tall in stature, you won’t have to duck when going in to get your lawnmower. 😉
14. Firewood Storage Nook | HGTV
Keep it simple by adding a firewood cubby under your deck. I love the aesthetic going on here – so cozy AND practical since the firewood will be safe from the elements!
When exiting the deck, feel free to use the stairs…or SLIDE!! Best parents ever!
All of the space under this amazing deck is closed in, giving the family unit a place to store all kinds of treasures underneath. This super fun family probably has all kinds of awesome yard games stored under there! Yes, a few utilitarian things like lawnmowers dwell there too but I imagine there are more toys than tools under there.
16. Under Stairs Storage Shed | Chelsey Knoll Deck and Patio via Houzz
Utilize otherwise unusable space under your deck stairs with a small built-in shed. Great for storing landscaping tools and products.
17. Stone Veneer Shed | Stump’s Decks & Porches via Houzz
Not the right solution on a tight budget, but this sure is a gorgeous concept to pull the deck area into the house and add another material to the home for a richer look.
Bonus…this approach weatherizes the storage area, which is also helpful if you want to store items like paint and other products that may be adversely affected by wild seasonal temperature swings.
These outdoor drawers from Trex are next level. Designed to look like an upscale kitchen cabinet system, these outside under deck drawers are lovely.
I kind of wonder how water-tight, mildew-resistant they would be in real life, but worth exploring if it’s in the budget!
19. Chic Canoe Storage | HGTV
Pretty nice when the items you need to store kind of fit the look of your home, like this sweet cottage and the under deck canoe storage. Could this be any cuter? I doubt it!
Looking for more home storage and organizing ideas? Be sure to check out these ideas, too!
Pin this post for later! And if you use any of these under deck storage ideas, leave a comment (or better yet, a photo) on the pin! That helps others know whether they want to try one of these ideas, too!
Ready to get control of the clutter and chaos at home? Here are 60 places you can declutter in just 5-minutes at a time. Grab your free copy now by clicking here or on the picture below: