These garage organization tips and tricks will soon have your garage the most organized space in your home!
Do you have garage-envy when you catch a glimpse inside a neighbor’s garage? Or maybe you are too self-conscious of your own garage anarchy to take notice of others who have their, uh, “stuff” together a bit more.
Whether you’re turning green from jealousy or turning shades of red from mortification…it’s time for a garage space makeover!
These garage organization ideas will turn your space from a black hole of junk into a neat, orderly kingdom where you will reign supreme.
Don’t underestimate how good it feels to have a clean garage. You might just take a little bit longer getting into the car each morning to give your neighbors a glimpse. 😉
Garage Organization Ideas to Get You Started
Here are some smart tips to get you started on your organizational journey.
- Moving on Up! Reclaim the overhead space in the garage by investing in quality storage racks that are safely attached to the ceiling. Bonus: you will free up precious floor space so you can easily navigate the garage and end your career as a contortionist!
- Don’t save it for a rainy day! Sure, rainy days can drive you to boredom of such great depths that you decide to reorganize your under bed storage. A project like a massive garage clean out is better suited for a clear weather day, though!
- Adopt a purging mantra. Keep, Donate, Sell, Toss. I’m pretty sure your lawn mower won’t “spark joy,” so you probably don’t need to go Marie Kondo in your garage. But, you are wasting an opportunity if you use your time and space to merely rearrange your current possessions, without weeding out some excess. If you haven’t used it in a year, or, if you aren’t sure what it is, or if it is expired…it’s probably time to donate, sell, toss, or recycle.
- Time is your ally. When you are ready to do a deep dive into your garage, you need a healthy chunk of time. Set aside a day – or even a weekend – to tackle your garage space properly.
- All hands on deck! Ever heard that old adage “many hands make light works”? Yep, it checks out. Encourage the household to set aside time to tackle the garage as a family. Rehash the glory days as you dust off old soccer shoes and gingerly try out the skateboard again!
Before you look through all of these garage storage solutions eye candy, you can grab our 60 5-minute decluttering wins! This is a free resource that will help you get a handle on your decluttering goals, all around the house in just 5-minute increments! Grab your copy here , or click that opt-in box below now⤵
17 Garage Storage Solutions You’ve Got to Try
Without further ado, here are some brilliant garage organization ideas to get you inspired.
1. Utilize Pegboard in a Smart Way | Family Handyman
Family Handyman has read your mind and is providing a remedy for all of your storage struggles and dilemmas! This DIY project costs about $80 and even includes a flip-down workspace.
2. DIY Smart Rolling Storage | Hometalk
Check out these resourceful, rolling storage units that are designed to hold an enviable collection of tools. You could tailor this idea to store any kind of collection!
The rolling organizational units are perfect for the garage as they can line up against the perimeter to save space (for vehicle parking!) when not in use.
3. Create an Innovative Power Tool Storage Space | The Heathered Nest
I’m a little partial to this hack because it’s one I came up with! And it’s pretty brilliant if I can say so for myself.
The ironic thing is you don’t even need to use any power tools to make this holder—head over to the post to see my top-secret trick. 😉
4. Garage Makeover with Bins | Blue i Style
Angela of Blue i Style will become your best friend after you read her incredibly detailed and helpful post about how she transformed her garage to a place of order, function, and beauty! She’s like your honest comrade that loves you enough to tell you when something in your life needs a makeover.
I love how she planned to use the floor space for bulky items and has the shelves starting above those items. Makes so much sense!
5. Cheerful Colorblocked Workshop | A Beautiful Mess
A garage painted yellow with black and white geometric flooring? Forget curb appeal – I think this house would sell on garage appeal alone!
I hope you are as inspired by the function and design of this space as I am. Happy sigh.
6. Easy DIY Wood Rack for Lumber | The Heathered Nest
Wondering how to most efficiently use that small corner next to the garage door? Look no further than this wood rack for lumber!
This is a super easy DIY that we made in our own home. I can attest to its usefulness personally!
7. Organized Drawers for Tools | Tinged Blue
Lisa at Tinged blue will inspire you to create “themed” storage areas within your garage space. I love her tips on organizing – so practical and helpful.
Plus, she sings the praises of drawers and hooks! Seriously, you can never have too many of either, in my opinion.
8. Coordinated Storage Bins | Making Lemonade
I’ve always bought whatever plastic colored tote suited my fancy for the season or whatever was on sale, but after scrolling through this article, I see the error of my uncoordinated ways.
Carrie, over at making lemonadeblog.com, had the foresight to always buy gray-toned totes. So wise. It looks monochromatic and intentional, even though her purchases have spanned more than a decade.
9. Create Storage Zones | The Organized Mama
While garage organization is on your mind, be sure to check out this post by The Organized Mama. So many great tips for storing recreational supplies, holiday decor, yard tools, and gardening supplies.
Check out that cute landing space for wet weather shoes – with a matching umbrella!
10. Tuck it All Away with Cheerful Colors | Just a Girl and Her Blog
Follow Abby’s advice – or even just gain inspiration from her cheery pictures – and you’ll end up with plenty of square footage for parking both your cars in the garage.
Everything has a place and is geographically zoned for efficiency (the yard tools near the garage door, etc). Check out the way she maximized the vertical space over the sink (just to the left of the door)!
11. Create Narrow Storage that Fits Any Space | The Creativity Exchange
Check out this post about how to maximize the narrow space along your garage walls. There’s a link to a tutorial about how to create this organizational masterpiece for your garage (or mudroom!).
Since the shelves only come out five inches, most vehicles would still be able to park inside. I love how visually accessible all of the supplies are!
12. Purchase Garage Storage Solutions That are Ready to Go | Hayneedle
Are you inspired to bring some order to your garage, but you aren’t much of a DIY? Never fear – this post is for you! This pre-made garage storage solution is as easy as it comes!
Don’t forget to declutter as you start rehoming all of your essentials!
13. DIY Garage Towers | Bower Power Blog
On the other hand, if you don’t mind trying your hand at a build, try this out! Here is a detailed post by Bower Power Blog that focuses on empowering you to build your own custom storage tower for your garage.
This would be a sturdy starting place to store all of your possessions that survived your decluttering efforts!
14. Make Your Space Gleam | Hey There Home
A garage makeover with a floor so shiny you could see your reflection in it! Check out what Corey with Hey There Home did with her garage.
It started with a serious clean out – in order to redo the floors – and only the essentials were invited back into the party. She maximizes space, creates zones, and has tons of other clever storage tips. The floor redo was DIY, too – I’m inspired!
15. Use Labeled Clear Bins as Garage Storage | Abby Murphy Photo
I love this garage storage idea! Grab clear bins and group like items together within them! The labels take it above and beyond, but the clear bins let you find what you need at a glance.
16. Build the Garage Organization Space of Your Dream | Reality Daydream
I’m so impressed with the garage space Bethany at Reality Daydream put together!
There is so much eye candy in the picture below, but what really is making my heart flutter is the DIY spray paint rack she built! What a genius idea!
17. Create the Ultimate Storage Wall | A Bowl Full of Lemons
I’ll admit it – at first glance, this wall of storage bins looks a bit intimidating. However, Toni from A Bowl Full of Lemons does a great job of breaking down her process to make it simple!
It’s as easy as shelving, drawers, containers, and labeling!
There you have it – now you have all the inspiration you need to make your garage your new favorite spot!
On the hunt for more simple home improvement ideas, and DIY home decorating inspiration? Be sure to check out these articles, too!
Pin this post for later! And if you use one of these ideas, leave a comment (or better yet, a photo) on the pin! That helps others know whether they want to try one of these ideas, too!
Ready to get control of the clutter and chaos at home? Here are 60 places you can declutter in just 5-minutes at a time. Grab your free copy now by clicking here or on the picture below: