BRIGHT (and SAFE) Ideas For Vintage Christmas Lights…
Do you have any old, vintage Christmas lights hanging around the attic? The ones your parents probably hung on the house when you were a kid.
Those big, bright, colorful bulbs? Old fashioned Christmas lights like those burned hot enough to give you a second degree burn the second they were switched on?
While we can all agree that it may be best to leave those lights un-electrified, it seems a shame to pitch them all, doesn’t it?
So instead, I’ve rounded sbout 20 bright ideas for these vintage bulbs that do NOT involve electricity. A little crafty spirit is mostly all you’ll need to make something beautiful (and safe) from those big, old vintage Christmas bulbs.
BRIGHT Ideas for Vintage Christmas Lights:
1. DIY Vintage Light Bulb Garland | Heathered Nest
This easy garland idea simply strings the bulbs together with festive butcher’s twine.
2. Vintage Christmas Lights Ball Decor | Sweet Paul
Those bulbs can still look beautiful on the Christmas tree, just not while lit.
3. Glittered Vintage Bulb Decor | Life with Fingerprints
Glitter and use as table decor. Easy breezy no electr-eezy 😂.
4. Vintage Christmas Lights Wreath | Home to Z
Isn’t this door wreath with a gazillion Christmas lights awesome? Reminds me of National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
5. Old Fashioned Christmas Lights Gift Tags | Heathered Nest
Use a paint pen to write the gift recipient’s name on the bulb, or just use the bulbs as a gift topper.
6. Star Christmas Tree Lightbulb Ornament | The Crafty Sisters
Make a tree topper star using a heap of vintage bulbs.
7. Glitter Lightbulb Christmas Ornament | Typically Simple
Spruce up a bulb with a little glitter and a bow, and hang it from the tree.
8. DIY Mini Snow Globe Vintage Bulb Ornament | No Biggie
I love these clear vintage bulbs filled with a wintery scene, like mini-snow globes.
9. DIY Custom Vintage Christmas Light Garland | My Sister’s Suitcase
Another version of garland using Christmas bulbs.
10. DIY Silver Christmas Light Bulb Garland | Chatfield Court
And a shiny, monochrome version of the garland.
11. DIY Upcycled Christmas Bulb Craft | Bronner’s Blog
Icy bulbs add to your own winter wonderland.
12. Night Light Bulb Christmas Ornaments | Mod Podge Rocks
13. DIY Christmas Light Tree Ornament | The Happy Housie
I love the little woodland touches Krista adds to these vintage bulbs and completes the ornament with some rustic twine.
14. Old Fashioned Christmas Lights Topiary | Life in Wonderland
A festive topiary crafted from Christmas bulbs.
15. Mini-Christmas Trees with Vintage Light Bulbs | Erma Colon Blog
Glue your bulbs to a foam cone. Check out what she did for the topper…tied the electrical cord in a bow! Love it!!
16. Framed Vintage Light Christmas Tree | The Junk Parlor
They’ve been framed! Grab one of those unused picture frames you likely have lying around, and give it a new life! Frame some bulbs in the shape of a tree.
17. Simple One Layer Vintage Bulb Wreath | Sugar Bee Crafts
Besides this fun wreath, Mandy’s post also shows you how to make a darling glitter bulb necklace!
18. Painted Snowman Christmas Bulb Ornament | Paper Treats
Missy shows you how she created this adorable painted snowman light bulb ornament.
19. Light of Friendship Bulb | Joy of Scrapping
Coupled with this sweet friendship poem, a little handmade bulb ornament makes a lovely neighbor gift, perhaps.
I hope that this post has given you some food for thought about crafting ideas for that stash of vintage bulbs that are likely safely tucked away somewhere in your home.
Even though it may not be a great idea to use them in the traditional sense, these fun alternative uses are great, too (and much less burn-y…ouch 🔥). Happy holidays!
If you’re on the hunt for more seasonal ideas and home holiday flair, you’ve come to the right place! Be sure to check out these articles, too!
Pin these vintage Christmas lights ideas for later! And if you make one, leave a comment (or better yet, a photo) on the pin! That helps others know whether they want to try this project, too!
Before you leave…it’s hard to enjoy the holiday season when we look around and all we see is clutter. Take control of the clutter, so you can truly relax this Christmas – our free Christmas decluttering guide will help! I’ve reserved a free copy for you. Grab it here! ⤵