81 fabulous and festive DIY felt Christmas ornaments to try this holiday season…
If you’ve never tried making felt Christmas ornaments, trust me when I tell you that once you’ve made one, you’ll be hooked.
They can quite easily become an annual Christmas crafting obsession. Why? A couple reasons…
Reasons Felt Christmas Ornaments are Fantastic
1. The materials/supplies needed are inexpensive.
2. You don’t need to know how to sew.
3. Felt Christmas ornaments aren’t breakable!
4. They are such a colorful, whimsical addition to your Christmas tree or decor.
I asked blogging friends to share their felt Christmas ornament creations, and did they ever deliver!!
From felt snowmen to snowflakes, coffee cups to candy canes, moose, unicorns and all matter of Christmasy creature in between…I guarantee there are felt Christmas ornaments ideas here that you will LOVE!
Oh, and question for you…is your home organized, decluttered, and ready for the holidays? No?! Well, you aren’t alone! Clutter can suck the joy out of the holiday season. So don’t let it steal yours! Grab your free copy of “Decluttering for Christmas” it’s my quick tip guide to help you declutter so that you can relax and enjoy this holiday season!⤵️
So here they are in all their felted glory!
Enjoy, and if you click on any of the photos or title links you’ll be taken directly to the site where that specific felt Christmas ornament project was created.
81 Festive Felt Christmas Ornaments
1. Pig in a Blanket | Heathered Nest
My daughter’s favorite animal is a pig. And since I was trying to create felt Christmas ornaments that could be removable from little houses, cases, nests and what-have-you, I thought a “pig in a blanket” would be a really fun idea to tackle.
The little pig even has a curly-que little tail!
2. Felt Starbucks Cups | Amy Latta Designs
Aren’t these Starbucks-esque ornaments delectable? They are making me crave a gingerbread latte ☕️.
3. Felt Tacos | Orange Bettie
EVERYBODY loves tacos! So why not make a felted one for the Christmas tree?
4. Owl Ornament | Heathered Nest
We live on some land with a fair number of trees and tend to find abandoned nests from time to time. So I decided to use this little nest to house our little owl felt Christmas ornament.
The owl can fly in and out of the nest so the kids can have fun playing with the owl before returning him to the nest which hangs on the tree.
5. Snowmen | BHG.com
Not just for the tree, any of these DIY projects could EASILY double as gift toppers! And what’s better than a gift topper you can keep and hang on the tree for years and years to come?
6. Scandinavian Gnome | Make Film Play
I love this little gnome idea. And the fact that you can customize to any color hat you’d like is great so that you can work with whatever motif you may already have on your tree.
7. Fox in Socks | Heathered Nest
When I was little my favorite ornaments were the ones that did something. A piece would move, or something would open, or spin.
So when I was creating felt ornaments I loved the idea of making little animals that could be taken in and out of their “home,” in this case, our little fox that snuggles down inside his own sock.
8. Snowman Softie | Felt With Love Designs
The little grin on this snowman is priceless, isn’t it?
9. Felt Quilted Stars | Swoodson Says
The colors that are on these ornaments are absolutely gorgeous.
10. Baby Sock Mice | Cutesy Crafts
This is a brilliant craft idea from Cutesy Crafts. She shows you how to create a felt ornament keepsake using one of your little one’s baby socks ❤.
11. Ice Skates | Swoodson Says
And ANOTHER awesome felt Christmas ornament from Swoodson Says! I’m telling you she has BUNCHES. And this little ice skate is darling, right?
12. Gingerbread House | Shiny Happy World
You can’t avoid a smile when you look at the colorful, whimsy stitchwork on this gingerbread house ornament.
13. German Pickle | While She Naps
Do you know the story of the German pickle ornaments? We have one on our tree that is glass, and I’m very tempted to make a felt one, now! Check out While She Naps tutorial and the story behind this popular ornament.
14. Sunshine in my Pocket | Heathered Nest
Got a Justin Timberlake lover in your home? Or how about you?? Then make one of these little “sunshine in my pocket” ornaments for yourself (like I did 😂)! It’s a great way to upcycle some old denim pockets, too!
15. Felt Ornament Trio | BHG.com
16. Birds | Projects for your Nest
17. Christmas Stars | Apple Green Cottage
18. Winter House | Bits and Bobs
The snow on this house adds a great touch.
19. Elf | Fleece Fun
Does your family have an Elf on the Shelf? We do, and it’s one of the kids’ favorite parts of the Christmas season. For elf-loving families, I think this felt Christmas ornament idea is just perfect.
20. Guinea Pig | Cali Cavy Collective
We’ve got several guinea pigs in our home, so my kids bumped this little project to the top of the felt ornament priority list.
21. Felt Mice | While She Naps
Sweet little 3-dimensional mice. Aren’t those little pink ears adorable?
22. Felt Mittens | Fave Crafts
23. Owls | Juicy Bits
The colorful felt and ric rac add a special touch to these little owl ornaments.
24. Peace Dove | Bella Dia
Isn’t the olive branch a beautiful addition to this peace dove ornament?
25. Dala Horse | BHG.com
In order to get the pattern for this little horse, you do have to sign up fo the BHG newsletter. Just letting you know before you click over.
I’m not sure I’d be good enough at the stitching required for this one, but it sure is pretty, isn’t it?
26. Felt Animal Cookies | Lit’l Brown
And she gifts them in a little pastry/bakery box! What a fantastic idea!
27. Gingerbread House & Men | Cutesy Crafts
Isn’t this PRECIOUS?! Not only is it a house, but two little gingerbread men to boot!
28. Christmas Tree | BHG.com
Using pinking shears to cut the branches for this Christmas tree adds such a fun touch!
29. Minions | Lolita Biruta
Got any Despicable Me fans at home? We sure do. Our youngest is minion-crazed. And these little guys from Lolita Biruta are a precious felt Christmas ornament idea that we’ll be trying, for sure.
30. Mice | Pattymac Makes
31. Felt Reindeer | Craftster
32. Embellished Baubles | My Fantastic Toys
33. Penguin | Bugs & Fishes
Bugs & Fishes creates lots and lots of fun felt ornaments, too. The site is a great one to check out if you’re looking to get crafty over the holidays!
34. Christmas Trees | Bugs & Fishes
35. Candy Canes | Bugs & Fishes
36. Matryoshka Dolls | Candyfloss Ramparts
I just adore all the color and pattern she threw into these tiny little doll ornaments.
37. Rocket | Shiny Happy World
38. Llama | Wild Olive
Llama, llama red pajama…or, in this case, a wintery scarf. Cute, right?
39. Mini Advent Tree with Ornaments | Imagine your Life
Isn’t this precious? A handmade felt tree and felt ornaments to hang each day of December. Granted, this craft would take you a while to complete but it would certainly become a family treasure.
40. Partridge in a Pear Tree | Heathered Nest
This is another felt Christmas ornament I tackled last winter. The little partridge can be taken in and out of its pear tree.
Don’t forget to grab your free Christmas decluttering helper!⤵️
41. Sugar Cookies | Life Sew Savory
42. Reindeer Softie | Red Ted Art
43. Felt Stocking & Mitten | Gingermelon
44. Rabbit in a Hat | Heathered Nest
Watch! You can pull this rabbit from its hat! Think Frosty the snowman and that magic hat they found, this felt ornament is definitely one of my kiddos’ favorites.
45. Ugly Christmas Sweaters | All Free Holiday Crafts
These ugly sweater ornaments would definitely be a lot of fun to make. So many ways to uglify them! And its always fun finding little miniatures at the craft store for projects like this one.
46. Round Santa Suit Ornament | A Cultivated Nest
47. Felt Flowers | The Magic Onions
The 3D effect created by layering the felt petals is so pretty, isn’t it?
48. Ribbon Candy Ornaments | Purl Soho
So I think I may be a total outlier, but I’ve never actually had ribbon candy. Have you??? Is it like a beachy, summer thing? Is it taffy of some sort? Whatever it is, I ADORE this felted version of it.
These colorful little ribbon ornaments would make such a fantastic addition to the tree.
49. Mushroom Cottage | Crafter’s Boutique Handmade
So intricate, right? I love all the little details on this sweet mushroom cottage.
50. Snowmen Heads | Tied with a ribbon
51. VW Bug with Christmas Tree | Mary Martha Mama
The tree on the pickup, or this case VW is such a classic holiday sight. So what a fun felt Christmas ornament idea this is, right?
52. Felt Wreath | Ann’s Entitled Life
53. Snow Couple | Cutesy Crafts
This one reminds me of a little snow globe of the Frosty the Snowman special where he meets his wife.
54. Wall Mounted Felt Tree and Ornament Tutorial | Project Nursery
When my three were little we never tried one of these felt board projects, but I sure wish I had! After reading through the tutorial, it sounds like it’s actually much easier than you’d think to make, as well. The kids can then have fun decorating their little tree however they want.
55. Felt & Paper Clip Skates | Krokotak
My grandmother made little knit skates like this for our tree one year with the paper clip runners, and they were always one of my favorite ornaments to hang on the tree. I don’t know how to knit, but I can certainly cut felt! So if you’re in the same non-knitting boat, this may be up your alley, too!
56. Cameras | Crafty Staci
As an admitted camera buff, I totally fell for these flashy little cameras 📸.
57. Hedgehog | Livemaster.ru
Hedgehogs are so cute, right? And yes, people have them as pets. But if you want the cuteness without all the prickles, maybe this felt option is a good choice.
58. Nativity | Wild Olive
I adore this manger scene. The simple figures, the simple structure…it’s just a perfect Christmas depiction that really brings home the reason for the season in such a soft, special way.
59. Wine Glass Ornaments | Swoodson Says
60. Stacked Felt Christmas Tree | Akamatra
61. Felt Christmas Lights | Apple Green Cottage
Can’t you imagine a little tabletop tree covered in these little Christmas light ornaments? Would be such a fun idea for the office cubicle.
62. Dachshunds | spabettie
63. Angels | Sustain my craft habit
There is a whole nativity set of felt ornament templates available to buy, but this little angel ornament is a free download. Isn’t it precious? As is the rest of the set!!
64. Vintage Campers | House of Hawthornes
These little pink campers are one of my personal faves on the list. I’m digging the whole colorful retro camping package.
65. Christmas Cacti | Dazzle While Frazzled
Cacti are all the rage. And personally, if given the choice between a prickly, for-real-type cactus, and a soft-colorful-non-prickly type, I think I gotta go with this felt variety.
66. Christmas Pointsettas | Weekend Craft
Michelle used her Cricut for this craft. I don’t have one of those, but apparently, you can cut special felt sheets on them! Isn’t that awesome?! She shows you all the details of how to make one of these on her tutorial.
67. Home State Felt Ornament | Crafty Staci
Isn’t this SUCH a great concept for a felt Christmas ornament?! Hawaii residents, not really sure how you guys would pull this one off…and New Mexico residents, yours may look a little boring, but for those of us in most of the other states, this would look fantastic hanging on the tree!
68. Red/White Stacked Christmas Tree Ornament | My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
69. Felted Advent Calendar / Ornaments | PMQ for Two
What is NOT to love about this felt advent calendar idea?! It’s completely colorfully creative! And hanging the felt baubles on the deer head (with the added Rudolph pom pom nose)?! Felt-Christmas perfection.
70. Felted Wood Slice Fox | The Inspiration Edit
A combo of two fave styles of DIY Christmas ornaments felt + a wood slice!
71. Easy No-Sew Ric-Rac Ornaments | The Artisan Life
72. Gingerbread man Mason Jar lid ornament | Ann’s Entitled Life
73. Felt Unicorn | Swoodson Says
Swoodson says has soooo many wonderful felt ornament projects, and this colorful unicorn is one of my favorites!
74. Elf Boots | The DIY Dreamer
75. Cactus Baubles | My Poppet Makes
I thought these little cacti were such a cool and original idea! Look how she made the spikes! And the felt pots are precious.
76. Mini Christmas Banner | Oleander and Palm
Oleander and Palm made a couple of these little signs with different seasonal words. They’d become such a great focal point on the tree, and they are not hard or time consuming to make!
77. Dinosaur | All Parenting
78. Gingerbread Men | Do Small Things with Love
79. Cocktails | Please Note
80. Snowflake | Wild Olive
81. Pom Pom Gnomes | Efzin Creations
Gnome doubt about it, these little pom pom ornaments combine two crafty favorites into one fantastic ornament! Felt and pom poms are a guaranteed winner!
And that wraps it up! Over 80 festive felt Christmas ornament ideas to try this holiday season. I hope that crafting a couple of these sweet little baubles really helps put you in a Christmasy mood ❤️🎄.
Pin this post for later! And if you make one, leave a comment (or better yet, a photo) on the pin! That helps others know whether they want to try these felt Christmas ornament projects, too!
Before you leave…it’s hard to enjoy the holiday season when we look around and all we see is clutter. Take control of the clutter, so you can truly relax this Christmas – our free Christmas decluttering guide will help! I’ve reserved a free copy for you. Grab it here! ⤵
Christine Mark says
Great blog. It is a very informative and useful post for me whenever I am going to making my own ornament. Thanks for sharing this.