9 Tile and grout cleaning tips that will help you get better, cleaner grout with minimal effort…
Tile and grout cleaning is hardly a crowd favorite when it comes to household chores.
But if you’re a homeowner, then chances are at some point, you’ll have to take on the dreaded chore of grout cleaning. Truth be told, it’s not even that horrendous of a job if you keep on top of it, but if too much time elapses between cleanings? You’re in for more work.
Over the past 15 years, Dave and I have moved many times. We’re also landlords and have had to turn our properties over at least every few years.
A while back, we had a home where the tenants had been living for about 5 years. They were great tenants, but I don’t think they ever cleaned the grout in any of the tiled rooms…like ever.
So when it came time to bring in new renters, I had some big grout and tile cleaning projects left for me in the kitchen, and the master bathroom in particular.
It became a mission to figure out the best grout cleaner. I wrote a post detailing the results of my best grout cleaner experiment here if you want to check that out.
I tested numerous products before I found a winner.
But beyond just determining the product that works best, I’ve done a lot of experimenting and spent way more time than I’d like to admit cleaning tile and grout over the years. So I’ve learned some helpful tips and tricks along the way which I want to share with you, in the hopes that it will make the process a little smoother for you, too.
Here’s a quick video showing some of my top tips, and the process I use for grout and tile cleaning…
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”RaoYdTqu” upload-date=”2020-12-04T21:56:59.000Z” name=”Grout Cleaning.mp4″ description=”Using toilet bowl cleaner for a natural stone floor with a medium brown/sand colored grout” player-type=”default” override-embed=”default”]
As far as grout and tile cleaning supplies, this is the slate of materials I use whenever I have one of these DIY projects to tackle at home…
And now for the tips! Here (in no particular order) are my 9 best tips for grout and tile cleaning…
Top tips for tile and grout cleaning
- For a light grout, use a product with bleach (I haven’t tested this on a dark grout, so I can’t tell you for sure what the effects on dark grout would be)
- In order to prevent irreversible staining, clean your grout every few months in highly trafficked areas (showers, bathroom floors, kitchens)
- If the grout is heavily stained, let the cleaner sit on the surface for several hours to overnight
- Use a good brush with strong, heavy-duty bristles (the one I like is linked in the supplies)
- Make sure you have adequate ventilation as you work! Keep windows and doors open, fans on as you clean and allow the product to soak in because the fumes will get strong
- If you hate cleaning grout (and who could blame you?) consider using a dark grout in your next remodel…it’s easier to maintain overall than a lighter color
- Just because a product says it’s a grout cleaner, doesn’t mean it necessarily works better!! Toilet cleaner beat out the more expensive “tile and grout” cleaner in our experiment by a landslide!
- Thicker cleaners/gels work better than thinner liquids and spray products. They will soak in better/stay put as they work and you can more easily see as you apply them so you can be sure you’re not missing any spots
- Don’t worry…blue toilet bowl cleaner did not stain our white grout at all! Phew! I was a little worried at the beginning, to be honest!
And that wraps it up!
If you’re on the lookout for more home improvement ideas, other quick home hacks, or decorating inspiration, be sure to give these articles a look, too!
Pin these tile and grout cleaning tips for later! And if you use any of these tips, or have other grout cleaning tips you love, leave a comment either here or on the pin! It could help others as well!
Pssst…before you go, I sure would love to hang out with you again really soon! Sign up now and get a FREE copy of “Builder-Grade To Beautiful: 10 Totally Transformative Home Decorating Solutions, All Under $100!” Click here to enter your email or on the image below. Your copy will be sent right away!