71 Christmas wrapping ideas that will be the envy of every gift under the tree.
First impressions make a big difference in any setting; dating, buying a house, interviewing for a job, and I’d say even when it comes to Christmas wrapping.
*This post contains affiliate links. Please read our full disclosure policy here.*
No need for stress because I’ll be the first to admit that when we’re in that last push before Christmas, my Christmas wrapping technique degrades to the “shove it in a bag and call it done” method.
But part of the joy of the season is taking a little time to do some of your Christmas wrappings with a bit more TLC. Not only is it fun to break out the gift wrap supplies while sitting by the fire in your PJs and coziest socks, but it’s a simple way to go the extra mile for someone you care about this holiday season.
And it’s with that sentiment in mind that I present this comprehensive list of over 70 amazing DIY Christmas wrapping ideas to peruse and try this year.
1. Pom Pom Santa Sacks | Mollie Makes
These colorful Santa sacks and their colorful lettering would brighten Christmas for any lucky recipient. And the added pom poms are the icing on top of an already amazing looking cake.
2. Faux Knit Mitten Gift Tag | Tikkido
I’m no knitter, so this idea would likely turn out looking more like a Christmas blob than a Christmas mitten, but who wouldn’t love receiving this pretty package? And the knit mitten could easily transform to an ornament that would be used for years to come.
3. Fast & Eco-Friendly Scarf Gift Wrap How-To | Heathered Nest
This may be my favorite Christmas wrapping idea I’ve done to date. This eco-friendly gift wrap idea is easy (takes no longer than the time it takes to traditionally wrap a gift), and the giftee gets the extra gift of a warm winter scarf in addition to whatever you’ve packaged beautifully inside.
4. Homemade Sponge Stamping Wrapping Paper | Confessions of an Overworked Mom
Stamping simple brown paper is a great idea to include the kids in the gift wrap process. Stamps can be made in any shape, and the little ones will love adorning their homemade Christmas wrapping to give their gifts with pride.
5. DIY Gift Card Holders | Organized 31
What a terrific way to recycle old Christmas cards! Organized 31 will show you how to make these festive upcycled gift card holiders.
5. God’s Eye Gift Topper| Honestly WTF
OK, we’ll have to learn the technique, but after scanning it I’m thinking this one is doable for sure. And it’s so fun and colorful. And what a colorful ornament it will make after it’s gift wrap days are done!
6. DIY Holiday Gift Wrap with Kraft Paper | Honey and Lime
Christmas gift wrapping you can eat? Sounds like a clear winner to me! Make a sweet little winter scene on a plain brown paper canvas with this idea from Honey and Lime.
7. Upcycled Sweater Wine Gift Bags | Organized 31
Don’t send it to the garbage…gift it! Those sweater sleeves make a great wine gift bag. Let Organized 31 show you how it’s done.
8. Quick Pom Pom Wrapping | Heathered Nest
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Pom poms make everything better. Even an already great Christmas gift. Whip out your pom pom stash (if you don’t have one, why not?!) and I’ll show you how to make that brown paper as pretty as a pom pom-y picture.
9. Easy & Unique DIY Gift Bags | Nellie Bellie
How fun is this little menswear DIY gift bag? Nellie Bellie shows you how to create this nifty gift bag idea, bow tie and all.
9. Christmas Unicorn Gift Wrap | My Heavenly Recipes
Everybody loves a unicorn. And I love the simplicity of this DIY unicorn wrapping idea shared by My Heavenly Recipes.
10. Free Printable Wood Grain Gift Wrap | Tikkido
Not only is this free printable wood grain gift wrap shared by Tikkido lovely, but those soft, cuddly bows make me want to slip my slippers on and watch another Christmas movie.
11. Tie-Dye Wrapping Paper | Diana Rambles
This is awesome. Actually dyed wrapping paper. Isn’t it awesome? This one is going on my list of definites to try this Christmas. Would be fun for a teen gift.
12. Embellishment Gift Wrap | Uncommon Designs Online
Unique ways to adorn presents in a coordinated way.
13. Creative Striped Gift Wrap | Dukes and Duchesses
Make a mini-tree! Isn’t this idea to “spruce” up some basic paper “tree-mendous” 😅?!
14. Simple Red Twine Wrapped Gift Wrap | Craftify My Love
Sometimes, we need to just apply the K.I.S.S. principle. And simple brown paper and butcher’s twine will always be a simple and stunning way to wrap a holiday gift.
15. Ribbon Wrapped Gift Wrap | Dukes and Duchesses
Isn’t this woven ribbon technique gorgeous from Dukes and Duchesses? And it could be done with so many combinations of colors!
16. Cupcake Liner Ornament Christmas Wrapping Paper | The Soccer Mom Blog
Isn’t this DIY ornament wrapping paper from the Soccer Mom Blog creative?! This would be a really easy one for the kids to tackle as well.
17. DIY Fabric Gift Wrap | Buggy and Buddy
I love green wrapping ideas, and this one is a gorgeous interpretation and super artsy. Fun to make, and fun to receive.
18. DIY Holiday Animal Gift Wrap | Hello Wonderful
I mean, the cuteness factor of these gift wrap ideas is on overload.
19. DIY Holiday Gift Wrapping with Succulents | Best Friends for Frosting
Who doesn’t love a succulent?! A living take on gift wrapping that will last (hopefully) long after the gift has been opened.
20. DIY Washi Tape Gift Wrap | A Spoonful of Sugar Designs
It’s simple to add some colorful flair with this Washi tape technique.
21. Colorful Gift Wrap Tutorial | A Kailo Chic Life
Kailo Chic can always be counted on for doing thing with color and pizazz. So these DIY wrapping ideas are no exception.
22. Pink Reindeer DIY Gift Wrap | Studio DIY
A simple take on an animal-eque wrapping job.
23. Hand Lettered Wrapping Paper | A Subtle Revelry
My hand lettering would likely look more like a toddler’s scribbles, but the handwritten touch is definitely a win if you can pull it off!
24. Last Minute DIY Bow Gift Wrap | Studio DIY
Studio DIY will teach you how to make these tissue paper bows to use as a beautiful gift topper.
25. DIY Christmas Tree Gift Topper | Make and Tell
Little modern trees make these gifts merry and bright without being difficult to complete.
26. DIY Christmas Ornament Gift Tags | A Night Owl Blog
Adding a personalized gift tag is always a plus. These will double as ornaments once the gift has been unwrapped.
27. Lighted Christmas Ribbon | Heathered Nest
Talk about making a gift a standout! I loved putting together these beautiful gifts clad in light up ribbon. Bonus: they’ll look amazing under the tree at night.
28. DIY Christmas Light Wrapping Paper | Boxwood Avenue
And if you don’t care for the real lighted ribbon, how about this colorful option?
29. Thrifted Cookie Tin Gift Wrap | Jennifer Perkins
Talented Jennifer Perkins did this little stack originally as a DIY Christmas tree idea…but what a perfect way to wrap gifts, as well! It’s festive, colorful and unique. Being able to keep the cookie tins is a serious plus as well!
30. Kitchmas Dinosaur Gift Card Holders | Jennifer Perkins
And another amazing original gift wrapping idea from Jennifer. Have your gift hand carried by a fun toy. Absolutely adorable.
31. Naughty or Nice Christmas Gift Tag Printable | Brooklyn Limestone
Printable gift tags are so fun. And THIS ONE is over the top fantastic. A North Pole mailing tag, complete with naughty and nice checkboxes.
32. Farmhouse Christmas Gift Wrap | My Family Thyme
This is the most literal way you can help someone have a holly jolly Christmas.
33. Upcycled Sewing Patterns as Christmas Wrapping Paper | Sadie Seasongoods
No one does upcycle ideas better than Sadie Seasongoods. And this wrapping idea is another true to form DIY idea…and what a lovely wrap job she made from these old sewing patterns!
34. Christmas Gift Wrap Using Your Favorite Photos | Lovely Etc
Lovely Etc shows us five really easy ways to personalize your gifts this year with photos.
35. DIY Wrapping Paper Created Easily with a Printer | The DIY Dreamer
I can’t even believe how cool this wrapping paper Christine made turned out. Doesn’t it look completely 3D. Check out the easy technique she used for this Christmas wrapping idea. This one is on my list of definitely gift wrap projects to try.
36. Free Colorful Gift Tags for Christmas Wrapping | The Handmade Home
The Handmade Home is known for being artsy, and these beautiful printable gift tags are true to form.
37. Custom Gift Wrap DIYs | By Brittany Goldwyn
Beautiful takes on Scandinavian style, Brittany shares several black, white and simple gift wrapping styles.
38. Creative Patterned Christmas Gift Wrap | DIY Beautify
I would LOVE to receive one of Cindy’s beautiful gifts…that’s REAL gingerbread, folks. Check out her post for the how-to.
39. Felt and Wood Monogram Tags | Table and Hearth
Wood slice tags made by Emily add a rustic and beautifully all-natural look to her gifts.
40. Reindeer Gift Card Holders | That’s What Che Said
May be the prettiest use for those old toilet paper rolls, ever.
41. Easy Santa Gift Bags | That’s What Che Said
What a precious way to dress up a drab gift bag! Make it a Santa suit.
42. Free Printable Plaid Holiday Gift Tags | Craving Some Creativity
Go grab some of these classy free printable gift tags from Craving Some Creativity. A traditional look to dress up any Christmas gift.
43. Interactive Gift Wrap Ideas for Kids | Lines Across
This is without a doubt some seriously fun wrapping. You know when the kids were babies, and they played more with the wrapping paper and boxes than the actual present? Well, this gift wrapping will bring that back, no matter the age your little ones are!
44. Coffee Filter Gift Topper | Creature Comforts
What a beautiful way to use an inexpensive household item to make a Christmas gift stand out! Be sure to check out the tutorial on this gift topper. It’s one I’ll be trying for sure.
45. Festive Clothespin DIY Toppers | Creature Comforts
I am crushing on these simple but completely stunningly wrapped gifts, again by Creature Comforts. What a simple DIY idea that makes such an impressive wrap job!
46. DIY Word Search Paper Gift Wrap | Heathered Nest
Credit to Mini Eco for this creative idea! They created birthday wrapping paper with a crossword generator online. I used their directions to create similar gift wrap for Christmas!
47. Free Printable Plaid Holiday Gift Tags | Hey There Home
My friend Corey added some serious glitz and glimmer to her gifts without much hassle. And who doesn’t love a good monogram craft?! What a smart, simple way to personalize your gift giving even more.
48. Easy DIY Gift Bags | Designer Trapped in a Lawyer’s Body
This tutorial is one of my friend Tasha’s most popular posts of all time. And it’s no wonder. This is a simple way to create a cost-effective gift bag. And it works especially well for those wonky, odd-shaped items that are so hard to wrap!
49. Free Printable Gift Boxes | Lolly Jane
You’ve heard of printable tags. Printable wrapping paper. Well check this out. Free printable BOXES from my 3 monsters via Lolly Jane. And they’re not just any old box. They are SUPER CUTE boxes. And yes, I’m totally printing these right now as I type!
50. Stamped and Yarn Ribbon Wrapping | Woman In Real Life
Joanna combined a couple of simple DIY projects to create these gorgeous stamped and yarn adorned holiday packages.
51. Chalkboard Inspired Gift Wrap Idea | Bonnie Christine
What a simple idea that gives such a dramatically wrapped gift, right? These chalkboard-wrapped gifts will give you a template for your imagination to run wild.
52. Ribbon Weaving Gift Wrap | The House that Lars Built
#15 was another woven ribbon wrap job. But I wanted to include this one as well to give you an idea of how this technique could be used in so many ways to achieve completely different looks! This one by The House that Lars Built would work for any time of year, not just Christmas.
53. Paint Chip Gift Tags | Weekend Craft
Michelle used paint swatches she had on hand to create these easy and colorful holiday tags.
54. Festive DIY Gift Tags that double as the gift themselves | T. Moore Home
Maybe the kids will actually read who the gift is from if you make them a tag like this! What a genius and sweet little gift card idea from Teri.
55. Confetti Gift Wrap | The House That Lars Built
OK, sure…The House That Lars Built published this idea as being one for spring. But gosh, I think this would be amazing for Christmas, too. You could go traditional with the confetti colors if you want. Or leave it colorful as shown. Either way, you’ll be giving a beautiful gift.
56. Upcycled Sweater Gift Wrap | Boxwood Clippings
Up near the top of this list, we saw sweater sleeves used as a wine carrier gift bag. Now here, a sweater was used in lieu of wrapping paper. Another great upcycling Christmas wrapping idea.
57. DIY Ombre Gift Wrapping | The House That Lars Built
Once again, I’m hijacking this Valentine’s idea from The House that Lars Built and saying, “this gift wrapping is so awesome, let’s use it for Christmas, too!” And so we shall. Check out their blog for the how-to details.
58. Simple Ribbon Wrapped Christmas Tree Wrapping | Manual Lidades
So simple and smart. This Christmas tree took Manual no time to do, but the result is so festive and fun. Grab that green ribbon and get to work!
59. Personalized Photograph or Watercolor Wrapping Idea | Design and Paper
Do you love to take photographs? Or maybe you watercolor? This is such a beautiful way to add a personal touch to your Christmas packaging. Two gifts in one.
60. Pinterest Inspired Animal Wrapping Ideas | Pinspiration
Nina credits each of these wrapping ideas to various bloggers she found on Pinterest, and the tutorials for each one are linked on her site. Putting them all together under the tree? A zoo-ful of gifting fun.
61. Unicorn Gift Bag | Tikkido
Make an average gift bag one of a kind (just like a unicorn) with this notable Christmas wrapping idea.
Evergreen wreath wrapping | Design and Paper
Lots of people affix evergreen clippings to their Christmas wrapping. This idea takes it just a small step forward by turning the clipping into a little wreath. This has also been done with rosemary, which would add such a lovely fragrance to your gift, as well!
62. Pom Pom and Bunting Wrapping | Two Shades of Pink
These ideas aren’t specific for Christmas, but they sure would look great under the Christmas tree, right? The tutorial shows you what you need for each of these felt, yarn and pom pom ideas.
63. Free Printable Plaid Holiday Gift Tags | Miss Red Fox
Last but not least are these simple, rustic and natural Christmas gift wrap ideas from Miss Red Fox. I love the pine twig and ornaments, don’t you? And another fun idea for upcycling coffee filters! She has many other gorgeous Christmas wrapping ideas on her blog, so check it out.
64. Rainbow Yarn Ribbon | Oh Happy Day
This project is originally credited to a book of knitted gift projects & ideas, and I found it on Pinterest shared by Oh Happy Day. As you can see, this is simple enough to do! Just break into that yarn stash. And if you don’t have one, it’s a great time of year to start a collection!
65. Rudolph Wrapping | I wish I knew!
It drives me nuts when I can’t figure out a definitive source for a project! I always want to give credit where credit is due. So if you happen to know for sure who created this sweet Rudolph gift wrap idea, give me a yell! It’s such a great Christmas wrapping project that anyone can do!
66. Mini Tree Gift Wrap | A Piece of Rainbow
My talented friend Ananda is responsible for these gorgeously wrapped gifts. They are simply perfection (and economical, to boot)!
67. Straight from the North Pole| Flickr
It looks like this project was in print at some point. And I can see why! What a fun idea. I’m not sure how you’d get the postmark, but the rest looks pretty achievable!
68. Snowman ribbon detail | Try Try Try
These little snowmen are crafted from modeling clay. Aren’t they “snow” great?! And I bet you could keep them strung and turn them into an ornament to keep for long-term as well.
69. Festive Fringe Gift Wrap | Willowday
I know the tag says, “happy birthday,” but think of how cute this would be in a seasonal red and green! Are you with me? Then check out the easy tutorial, and add this project to your list.
71. Newspaper Wrapping and Jumbo Newspaper Bow | Adelle
Adelle shows the step by step process for how to make this gorgeous DIY newspaper bow in her tutorial. She credits the idea to the book The Art of Paper Crafts. And she shares some other lovely ideas which she found in the book as well.
71. DIY Paper Snowflake Topper| Giochidicarta
Silvia shows you how to make these intricate DIY paper snowflakes to top your Christmas gifts. They look difficult, but her tutorial has great pictures to make the process really simple.
Phew, that’s a wrap 🎁😂, friends (I know, I insert the low budget punny jokes whenever I possibly can). I certainly hope that this has given you some fun DIY Christmas wrapping ideas you can pull out of your sleeve as the UPS trucks start dropping the packages at your door this December!
When the stress starts mounting and the to-do list starts stacking up, let’s try to remember to enjoy the process of the holiday season a little more; one piece of tape and one handmade bow at a time. Happy holidays!
Pin these Christmas wrapping ideas for later! And if you make one, leave a comment (or better yet, a photo) on the pin! That helps others know whether they want to try this project, too!
Pssst…before you go, I sure would love to hang out with you again really, really soon!! Become an insider and get first access to all that’s new here at the nest. Click the image below to join!