Get excited for 20+ clever ribbon storage ideas you need to organize your craft area now!
Show of hands: who has a junk drawer brimming with ribbon spools that makes you cringe every time you open it? Maybe you have plastic bins full of craft supplies, haphazardly tossed together with no organization method whatsoever?
My favorite is the mountain of goodies piled high on a craft table that turns into a game of Jenga each time you have to retrieve something. The ribbon storage struggle is real, my friends, but I’m here to help.
If you could use some more organizing and less clutter in your life, you’ve come to the right place! Grab a free copy of “60 5-minute decluttering ideas” and get on the road to a calmer, more restful home life in as little as 5-minutes at a time!
Tips for Organizing Ribbon Spools and Scraps
Ready to take control of your ribbon collection? Here are a few helpful tips to get you started.
- Sort into piles by color, shape and size. Before you commit to an organization method, start by separating your ribbon collection into categories. First, separate out any loose scraps, then group them into piles by color. After that, categorize similarly-sized spools together. This way, you’ll get a good handle on what kind of storage solution you need.
- Maximize the space you have! Take note of available space in your crafting area. Do you have extra wall space? Utilize it! Do you have a designated craft supply closet? If so, you might choose a method using boxes or bins, or a vertical rack. Not every organization method will work for your space, so think about how you can maximize what you have.
- Analyze your workflow. You’ll want to spend some time really thinking about how you usually work with ribbon. Do you like to take down spools and have them close by while you’re working? If so, you may want to keep them easily accessible (as opposed to locked onto a dowel on a rack in your closet). Do you like to cut off only what you need before you start your project? Then dowel storage on a rod might be for you.
- Invest in storage materials that will go the distance. Speaking of dowels, if you have a very large ribbon collection, like Doris from May Arts, you may consider her suggestion to use metal rods instead of wooden dowels. She found that metal rods supported the weight of her spools better.
- Let your ribbon storage reflect your personality! Are you a frugal DIYer? Make use of what you already have lying around. Plastic storage bins, empty shoeboxes or even old DVD or VHS racks can work brilliantly for ribbon storage. If you have an artsy side, take this opportunity to create something that looks great on your wall! The possibilities are endless.
Smart Ikea Ribbon Storage Hacks
I absolutely love to find hacks to organize craft supplies. In fact, you might call me a ribbon storage junkie.
I’ve already devised a couple of DIY IKEA hacks to neatly store and organize your ribbon collection, which work brilliantly if I may say so.
Likewise, this DIY ribbon organizer IKEA hack keeps all your ribbon tucked away neatly.
You could get several of these and store seasonal ribbon in one and your everyday ribbon in the other.
20 More Ways to Keep Ribbon Organized
In case those two hacks don’t exactly whet your whistle, I’ve got a whole round-up of amazing ribbon storage ideas below.
So grab your beverage of choice and enjoy scrolling through these 20+ clever ribbon storage ideas you need to organize your craft area now!
1. DIY Ribbon Storage Organizers, Racks & Shelves | Jennifer Maker
First of all, you gotta love Jennifer Maker’s name. Secondly, she has so many cute ideas for ribbon storage! She starts off by showing her current organization method, using a picture frame and pegboard.
Not only is it super cute, but you can clearly see every ribbon in your arsenal. Be sure to check out her tutorial as well as her roundup of brilliant ribbon storage ideas.
2. 7 Clever Ways to Organize Ribbon | Homedit
You’re always bound to find home inspiration from Homedit. In this straightforward post, they list seven clever ways to organize ribbon you may not have thought of before!
I love this list because each ribbon storage idea is so different, you’re sure to find something that suits your space.
3. A New Way to Store Ribbon | The Homes I Have Made
Megan from The Homes I Have Made has figured out a really inventive way to store ribbon. You’ll absolutely want to check out her color-coordinated Rings O’ Ribbon tutorial, including a brilliant bobby pin hack that will blow your mind.
4. 18 Ribbon and Fabric Storage Ideas | Craftaholics Anonymous
I’m so glad we all have a support group in Craftaholics Anonymous! Linda shares a roundup of great ideas for fabric and ribbon storage. Bonus points to Lisa F. for coming up with a resourceful hack that recycles old CD holders (#1 on the list).
5. Ribbon Organizer that I Made in an Hour | In My Own Style
Pressed for time but desperate to get your sprawling ribbon collection under control? Look no further than this tutorial from In My Own Style. This clever DIY hack uses a home improvement item you probably never would have thought of to store ribbon!
6. Ribbon Storage Ideas | The Scrap Shoppe
I am head over heels for this ribbon storage roundup from The Scrap Shoppe. This post lists some easy to DIY yet professional-looking wall storage ideas that will turn your work area into an organized craft haven.
7. DIY Ribbon Organizer | Craftibilities
This DIY ribbon storage shelf organizer will transform your work area into a craft wonderland. This tutorial from Craftibilities will guide you step by step through the process, and even shows you where to find supplies at Home Depot! You won’t be disappointed.
8. Amazing Ways to Store Ribbon | A girl and a glue gun
There’s nothing a girl with a glue gun can’t do – and this post proves it. A girl and a glue gun reveals some beautiful and artsy ways to store ribbon, like a hanging frame piece (which is really a work of art in and of itself). Creativity knows no bounds – check out this list and let it inspire your own creative ideas.
9. Ribbon Storage and Organization | Laura’s Crafty Life
One of the best things about organizing your craft supplies? You get to be crafty while doing it! Laura’s Crafty Life lists some superbly easy ways to get your ribbon storage under control.
10. Fun Ribbon Storage Ideas | The Frugal Gals
Here’s a cheap and easy way to keep your ribbon spools easy to see and easy to access. I’d expect nothing less from The Frugal Gals!
11. DIY Ribbon Storage Rack | Salvaged Living
This easy DIY ribbon storage rack maximizes vertical space, and has an awesome structural element to it. Don’t miss this great tutorial from Salvaged Living!
12. Movie Stand Turned Ribbon Storage | Fynes Designs
If there’s one thing that crafters do better than anyone else – it’s out-of-the-box thinking. Meet Virginia of Fynes Designs. First of all, she coined the term “Ribbonista,” and suddenly, I feel seen. Secondly, I so admire how she took a thrifted $10 VHS movie stand and transformed it into something incredibly useful. Brava!
13. Ribbon Organization Ideas | Marty’s Musings
Never underestimate the power of wall space! Marty of Marty’s Musings shows you how to use dowel rods to make an easily visible ribbon wall display, and lists a few other ideas to keep your ribbon organized and on hand for all your crafting needs.
14. My Ribbon Storage | May Arts
Some of the best bloggers are the ones who share their trial and error stories with the rest of us to help us save precious time and money! That’s why I appreciate this post by May Arts so much. The author, Doris, has experience as a professional crafter at Piggy Bank Parties, so I think she knows what she’s talking about.
She shares a few different ideas to suit various ribbon storage needs and explains why metal dowels worked better for her than wooden dowels. The more you know!
15. Simple Ribbon Organizer DIY | 100 Directions
Sometimes in the craft world, the simpler, the better. This resourceful post from 100 Directions explains how you can use an old shoe rack – yes, a shoe rack! – to organize your ribbons in no time at all.
16. How to Organize Ribbon Scraps and Spools | Patchwork Posse
So far, we’ve seen a LOT of wonderful inspiration for ribbon spool storage. But what about all the loose ribbon scraps you have lying around? You will definitely want to dive into this post by Patchwork Posse. They share some brilliant ideas for storing leftover scraps in a neat and attractive fashion.
17. DIY Ribbon Holder | The Cottage Mama
Where are all my cottage-chic crafters? You’ll love this cute DIY ribbon holder from The Cottage Mama. The paint color possibilities for these spool stands are endless!
18. Ribbon Storage Solutions | Hub Pages
Just when I thought there couldn’t possibly be any new ideas for ribbon storage, Hub Pages surprised me with this awesome list. Be sure to read through to the end; you won’t want to miss the wall mount multi-purpose craft storage unit or the cute soda straw dispenser hack!
19. Ribbon Storage | Sarah Rhodes Designs
So far we’ve seen a lot of ideas using dowels to store multiple ribbon spools. Sarah from Sarah Rhodes Designs makes an excellent point: what if you need to take a whole spool down, or replace an empty one?
You’d have to take down the entire dowel. This smart crafter came up with a brilliant solution. Read this post to learn some great tips and tricks for dowel-free spool storage.
20. Ribbon Storage 6.1 | Organize Your Stuff Now
Last but not least, Leanne from Organize Your Stuff Now, arguably the utmost expert on “Almost Free Organizing” shows us how she uses old shoe boxes as a cheap ribbon storage hack!
Wow, so many great ideas for ribbon storage! Will you use one of these awesome organizational hacks, or did they inspire you to DIY your own creation? Let me know!
And if you’re on the hunt for even more storage and organization ideas for your home, be sure to check out these articles, too!
Pin this post for later! And if you use one of these ideas, leave a comment (or better yet, a photo) on the pin! That helps others know whether they want to try one of these ideas, too!
Ready to get control of the clutter and chaos at home? Here are 60 places you can declutter in just 5-minutes at a time. Grab your free copy now by clicking here or on the picture below:
Leave a Reply